Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-21-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Polish the hull -how with bunked trailer

I want to polish the hull, so I need to move my boat on it's position on the trailer.

My current tub is on bunk trailer ... how can I get at the area under the bunks to polish the hull ?
The only time it's off the bunks, is when it's in the water - not a point at which I can polish the hull.

On my previous boats I have had a roller trailer .. I would give 1 foot or so slack on winch strap, and would reverse back sharply a few feet, hit the brakes .. and boat would move back as far as strap slack.

How do I polish the hull - from a practical point, when boat is on a bunk trailer.

Thinking of one option that I need to jack up the stern - under the transom, and try and drive the trailer out underneath ? not all the way,could leave forward half the hull resting on trailer ...

If this is the way forward, anybody know of a practical way to do this.
I have a 3 ton trolley jack, but worried about damaging the hull with a point lift.
I suppose something like a forklift or engine hoist lifting hull with strap would be an option - not that I have either.

Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: Polish the hull -how with bunked trailer

i'd get some stands and carefully jack the boat up..then pull the trailer out and then block the keel....work on it as you like..then move the blocks...return the trailer...drop off stands...

SP irate:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

you mention stands ? What type ? home made ? Do you have a particular design/shape in mind.
I know an actual negative mould of the hul maybe a foot wide l would be best ... I could make one I guess.
Not sure what material & sections to make it capable of taking the weight.
Anybody made one or seen one?

Wonder if an option is a basic vee shape wood frame and lay sand bags on it ... To mould to hull shape under load ?
Old 05-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
Admiral

actually they are tripod type stands with pins to adjust the length of the shaft....the stands have a horizontal L-bar to grab the chine of the boat..other types use just a flat metal on top to allow the hull to sit on..some folks will cover them with old carpets to keep from scratching the hull...use soft wood to use for the keel....you need to grab the boat from the chines as you remove the trailer...then block the keel..the stands help the boat from tipping....you can sometimes rent them from a local boat yard or buy them..not all that expensive concidering you can use them over and over again...

http://www.boatstands.com/
SP irate:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
actually they are tripod type stands with pins to adjust the length of the shaft....the stands have a horizontal L-bar to grab the chine of the boat..other types use just a flat metal on top to allow the hull to sit on..some folks will cover them with old carpets to keep from scratching the hull...use soft wood to use for the keel....you need to grab the boat from the chines as you remove the trailer...then block the keel..the stands help the boat from tipping....you can sometimes rent them from a local boat yard or buy them..not all that expensive concidering you can use them over and over again...

http://www.boatstands.com/
SP irate:
Thnx
Old 05-22-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Can't you prop it with a stand as discussed and then just remove the bunk on the trailer? Mine trailer is all put together with U bolts so it comes to bits quite easily, off course yours may not be built like that
Old 05-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazjen
Can't you prop it with a stand as discussed and then just remove the bunk on the trailer? Mine trailer is all put together with U bolts so it comes to bits quite easily, off course yours may not be built like that
On my hull bunks are bolted to large right angle metal plates, just a risk it it did fall off stand, it would then come down (expensively) onto those.

But all ideas will help me come up with solution.

When I wanted to work on trailers previously I have slid boat off by jacking up rear, pulling out trailer and then lowering onto a stack of Land Rover tyres.. but with bunked trailer I don't think boat is going to roll off that easy.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:15 AM   #8
Lt. Commander

The way I did mine (to paint it) was to block the boat tight then let the air out of the tires, should give you enough room to do what you need

Jon
jhabers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
Lt. JG

I jack mine up under the center of the transom. Lean to one side and throw a 4 X 4 under the side that I want to work on. I have done this for polishing and replacing the carpet on the bunks.

Shep
Old 05-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

you jack up transom ... So hull pivots with bow taking load ..... Where are you then putting the 4x4 tyre ?
Old 05-31-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

I called a local marina that uses strap lifts to launch the boats. They let me use the hoist for a modest fee to pick the boat up and polish the bottom. You just have to move the straps one time to get the part they cover. This would not work for paint because it would tie up the lift for too long. Obviously you need to do this at an off time for them. I did it when the weather was not great.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #12
Ensign

an automotive creeper will help as well

bnsf215 is offline   Reply With Quote