Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-29-2021, 09:25 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Painting the hull

Hi,

Can someone please advise me on how to paint the bottom of the boat?

I do understand the general process:
- degrease the area you are going to paint;
- sand gelcoat a bit to improve adhesion;
- put 2 coats of primer;
- put 2 coats of antifouling paint.

My question is about how to locate the waterline. My boat saw very little use and her bottom has never been painted. I see that in the stern the waterline is above the vynil tape, but in the bow the waterline is at least a feet below the vynil tape. My initial thought was to paint everything below the vynil tape, but now I have doubts about it as it seems that it won't be enough at least in the transom.

Please advise... [emoji4]

Best wishes,
L

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

LexiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:56 PM   #2
Admiral

You can put the boat in the water and make the water line at the stern and bow then make the paint line 1-2 inches above that.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:06 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
You can put the boat in the water and make the water line at the stern and bow then make the paint line 1-2 inches above that.
I will see if I can do that, but it doesn't seem to be possible at the moment. I found a boatyard who is willing to take in a DIYer, but I don't know if they will be willing to drop the boat in the water.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #4
Captain

Don’t go by the vinyl stripe. Mike’s suggestion is best.

Most of the 2400’s I’ve seen have the decal under the waterline at the stern.
Also, as a general guide, I found that the paint line on the transom of most outdrive boats falls about 2” below the top of the Outdrive bracket.

Google for images of your boat and you’ll see a number of painted hulls. That will at least provide a visual on what yours may look like.
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:57 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsons121 View Post
Don’t go by the vinyl stripe. Mike’s suggestion is best.

Most of the 2400’s I’ve seen have the decal under the waterline at the stern.
Also, as a general guide, I found that the paint line on the transom of most outdrive boats falls about 2” below the top of the Outdrive bracket.

Google for images of your boat and you’ll see a number of painted hulls. That will at least provide a visual on what yours may look like.
Thank you for the advice! I did google the other Maxums in my size and I have a general idea of where the waterline is going to be in the transom. I was thinking to level the boat using a level in the cockpit and use laser level to strike the line. But I will drop her in the water if I will have a chance.

Best wishes,
L

Old 04-30-2021, 03:00 PM   #6
Lt. JG

I forgot to ask - should I remove the stripe altogether? Mine is pretty worn out and I don't see a solid reason for keeping it.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiP View Post
- degrease the area you are going to paint;

- sand gelcoat a bit to improve adhesion;
These are your two most important steps. Thoroughly remove all mold release from the hull.

Sand WELL. 80 grit sandpaper until there is Zero shine with 100% coverage.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 01:41 AM   #8
Captain

Default that

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiP View Post
Thank you for the advice! I did google the other Maxums in my size and I have a general idea of where the waterline is going to be in the transom. I was thinking to level the boat using a level in the cockpit and use laser level to strike the line. But I will drop her in the water if I will have a chance.
Unless you have a surface that is parallel to the actual water when the boat is at rest in the water, shooting any type of line is at best, an approximation. Even with a all the engineering that I’m assuming went into my 3000, there isn’t one surface on board I can use as a ‘source of truth’ for being level when in the water.

My advice, don’t overthink this too much. Look to where the tell tales are on where the waterline is and grab some blue painters tape and layout the initial line, favoring being a little low. Use the pics you found as well as any marks on the hull any get a rough approximation. You will be painting it again, so adjustmentscan be made to raise it if need be. Even if you go too low initially, it’s only a matter of prep the next year to sand it and raise the line a bit until you’re dialed in. Prep it, paint it and enjoy the water.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:25 AM   #9
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsons121 View Post
My advice, don’t overthink this too much.
Thank you! [emoji4]

What is the negative side of going 2 inches higher than lower? I will keep her in the salt water in a marina and I plan to take her out at least twice a month. So she will see some use.

I liked the advice of going 2 inches below the top of the outboard drive mount. That I where I stop seeing very slight changes in the gelcoat color.

Old 05-01-2021, 10:32 AM   #10
Captain

I start low because I want a nice even stripe that’s parallel to the waterline and wasn’t super wide/way above the waterline. Once the gelcoat is sanded and painted, you’re committed to that height. Since my desire was to have an even 3” all around, I Didn’t want to scuff up the gelcoat I somewhere that was too high and need to move the whole line up to match and wind up with 4-6 in reveal.

My paint line has moved a little when I repaint every few years.