Old 04-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Newbie boater - what maintenance items kept on board?

I have just purchased my first boat (2001 2500 SCR) and want to get ready for spring launch. Besides my standard universal repair kit of bailing wire and duct tape () what other items (spare parts / tools) should I have readily available?

seaman-recruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

They may be obvious but flares, life jackets, throw cushions, extra rope and fire extinguishers would be my first things to get. Second is usually beer. Does not make me a bad man... ;-)

Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #3

Welcome to the site. You should find lots of good info and helpful folks. This is an interesting topic, that I'm sure you will find there are a wide variety of opionions. I like to try and keep both everything and only what I need. Finding what you need is easy, once you need it don't have it. Finding out what you don't need seems to take a lot longer, until you finally notice you've moved a tool 10,000 before realizing you never use it. Here's what I can think of off the top of my head.

screwdriver with interchangable bits
small nut drivers (work in the screwdriver or drill)
SAE combo wrenches, ratcheitng with adjustable angles
SAE deep sockets and driver
SAe dog bone
filter wrench
stubby philips screwdriver
small tape measure
emergency tape
ss sefety wire
volt meter
wire cutter/stripper
vise grips
needle nose pliers
small telescoping mirror
putty knife
utility knife and spare blades
various sized wire connectors (with shrink tubing)
shrink tubing
shrink tube gun
spare hose clamps

I'm sure there's more ods and ends, but that is all I can recall. I find it's best to only work out of the boat toolbox. that helps to identify what you do and don't need.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Admiral

I went to harbor freight..picked up a couple of canvas bags to store things in...for tools..the usual stuff..screw drivers ..wrenches...pliers ..wire cutters and strippers....etc...
but for spares..I stick all of these spares in the canvas bags...light bulbs for different lights around the boat....spare wire..black and red....stainless steel wire....vulcanizing tape...antisieze ...silicone sealant tube....spare screws of various sizes in stainless...various gaskets and o-rings....a mess of spare LED flashlights that are cheap...spare pencil zinks and a few blue plugs for the water systems on the engine...some rigging string......oh yeah.....and on your starter on the engine...there is a fusable link that attaches to the main lead to the batt.....tehy cost about 10 bucks ....get one...keep it onboard...if that blows....everything in the boat is dead......and any other items that seems like a good idea to have as spares....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Wow, you guys carry an awful lot of......stuff... on your boats!

I think much of this, except for safety items, depends on how and where you use the boat, the complexity of the boat, and even the age of the boat. For those that go out, and stay out for long(er) periods, without easy access to a marina I can understand the need to take a bunch of tools and spares.

For me, my tool kit consists of a Leatherman multitool, knife, small flashlight, cell phone, credit card, TowBoat US membership card, and a bottle opener/corkscrew (in the event I need to wait for a tow).

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Thanks for the tips/suggestions. I did spring for the TowBoat US unlimited towing package and will have a cell phone and credit card ready as well. I'll be doing most of my boating in near-shore waters close to my marina. The boat I purchased only has 158 hours so hopefully no major break downs in the near term.

FYI - I had already considered the required safety items and was using this check list for a reference if anyone wants to review:

http://forms.cgaux.org/archive/a7012.pdf
seaman-recruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
Admiral

also carry a spare set of serpentine belts..or fan belts if you have those....where I boat...sometimes it can be a ways from any help....
just to show you...we were right at the mouth of an inlet near a marina when the inline main fuse blew out...later found a short at the altenator that went to the starter...that block fuse was on the starter and I didn't even know it was there....killed everything except the vhf radio....we were being blown into some rocks and shore....couldn't raise the drive either cuz no batt. power.....
had to call a mayday and another boater came ...tossed me a tow line and towed me into the docks...
I later found that the fusable link had blown...messing around looking moved the shorted wire off teh block of the engine...took the fusable link off...which got me home...later to find the short....something simple can cause you to be adrift...and eventually grounded....I got lucky that another boater stopped by to help since I was minutes from the rocks...

:arr arr
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Captain

a wallet filled with a lot of dollars....

lots of fun with your new bought boat

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:25 AM   #9
Commander

I cannot believe nobody mentioned guns and beer yet. Duh.
Seriously though, these are all good lists. At the beginning of each season I do an inventory of my spares, and supplies to be sure I have it all.

Welcome and good luck to you!!

rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote