Old 07-03-2022, 07:51 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Maintainance, what else!?

So this past spring I did a ton of maintenance to the boat to hopefully avoid being stranded. Unfortunately today after a cruise I hit a 6mph zone and it seemed to stumble a little when I slowed but all gauges were ok. I took off out of the 6 and was cruising just fine until I started getting 2 beeps about every minute or so. I slowed and pulled up to a dock and when I dropped to idle it died. It would only stay running with the throttle advanced. It's a 5.0 MPI, 2006. My guess is IAC. I ordered a new one and am waiting for it now. But this got me wondering what else can I replace to get ahead of any potential problems that would leave me dead in the water. This past spring I did:

Starter
Belt
Oil and Filter
Fuel Filter
Water Pump Impeller
IAC Muffler
Vent and Drain plugs on the drive
Gear Lube
Thermostat
Anodes
Lubed Gimble Bearing
Lubed Prop Shaft
Cleaned the flame arrestor

Any other recommendations?

Old 07-04-2022, 12:59 AM   #2
Admiral

I agree the IAC is the most likely thing. You have a good list there but one never knows, any engine sensor can go bad or a blown engine all together. Do you have a spare prop and tools to change it? Spare prop hardware in case you drop something in the drink?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:32 AM   #3
Lieutenant

I do have a spare prop hardware kit but I do not have an entire spare prop. Probably not a bad idea to grab one. PS I went from Curtis Creek to the Magothy, the goal was so hang at Dobbins but instead it was a trailer ride back.... Couldn't find an IAC in stock anywhere. I later learned that a 2002 Ford Windstar uses the same IAC (Motorcraft CX1766, Ford part number 1F2E-9F715-AA). Hopefully this will save someone else who cant find it at a marina but can find it at an AutoZone or similar in a pinch. Ford part is much cheaper (around $70) compared to $190 from Mercury. Mine seems to be original as it's painted all black.