Old 08-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #1
Commander

Default Low dockside water pressure on 3200 SCR

My 95 3200 scr has a new problem. Seems that when I am connected to dockside water, I have low water pressure at my sinks and shower. If I use the water from the water tank (via the water pump), the pressure is great.

The pressure from the dockside hose is fine as well. I'm thinking there is a check valve (somewhere) that may be faulty or stuck.

Anyone have any experience with either where it may be or what it looks like?

Thanks.

jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
Admiral

There should be a check valve either in the on board fresh water pump or right after it. The dock water should plumb after this and the check valve is prevent water flowing back through the pump and into the fresh water tank.

Is you fresh water tank higher than you expect and/or is its vent overflowing water?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:30 AM   #3
Commander

My fresh water pump, which I replaced a couple of years ago, I know where that is, plus the screen/filter. I've never seen a check valve (if there is one).

I'm not sure I understand the question about the water tank height or if the vent is overflowing water. The way I came across the problem is that my wife kept using the water pump even when the boat was connected to the dockside water. She told me without the pump on, there is very little water coming out of the faucets. With the pump on, its fine. And by using the fresh water tank, it was pretty empty when she told me.

Maybe its the dockside inlet on my boat? Perhaps it has a pressure regulator that isn't working? Not sure though.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:33 AM   #4
Admiral

The water pump probably has a check valve built in its output which will keep city water from flowing backwards through the pump which will them fill the water tank. If the tank is over filled water with come out the tanks vent on the side of the boat.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:28 AM   #5
Commander

Ah, got it. I will check that, thanks!
Old 08-06-2015, 01:59 AM   #6
Captain

The dockside inlet does have a pressure regulator. Our plumbing is usually built for a max 30 psi. City water can hit 60 or more. It is possible that the regulator could go bad.

The pumps have a built in check valve (actually, its part of how they work). You generally wouldn't see it as a separate piece. If it failed, water would be flowing back through your pump, into your tank. If that was the case, it would fill up and run out the over flow. That's what Mike was referring to.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:15 AM   #7
Commander

I think it may be the regulator. I tried it again today, seems fine now, no pressure drop at all. My next dilemma would be if I should replace the existing Jabsco model with a Shurflo one. Many reviews blast the Jabsco model as flimsy quality and it leaks (of which mine leaks and I need to tighten with a pair of pliers each time). They are roughly the same price, about $35-$45. Not sure if the Shurflow is a drop in replacement for the Jabsco. Anyone change one from Jabsco to Shurflow? Thanks.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:23 AM   #8
Commander

Turned out to be the dockside regulator after all. I went with the same make/model (the Jabsco one). Installed in less than 5 minutes.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:26 AM   #9
Captain

Good to hear. I installed the inexpensive jabsco one, but I put it inside my aft compartment with the power cords. Also, I use hose quick connects, so, I tightened the fitting once, and never messed with it again.

Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote