Old 08-07-2011, 02:03 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Jabsco electric head problem

I have a (2001) 2500 SCR and was out today and the head quit working. (I took a few extra swims in the lake) It worked fine the first use and then second time pushed the button and nothing. Didn't notice a breaker obviously labeled for the head - where do I start troubleshooting? Boat is new to me and may have all original plumbing components.

seaman-recruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #2

Was the head working before or after you got out on the water? The 120V system (House System) uses breakers for Refrigerator, outlets, hot water heater, Air Conditioning, battery charger, electric stove. The 12v system which runs off of the batteries uses fuses for bilge pumps, water pump, 12 side of the refrigerator, electric head, lights and starter). Most of the 12v fuses are underneath the dash. Some, like the fridge have dedicated fuses on the device itself.

Did you try switching the battery selector from one battery to the other. Maybe your starter battery is isolated from the house. Maybe one of hte batteries was dead. If that doesn't work, I'd take a voltmeter to the switch in the head and the head itself and see if you're getting 12v there.

When exactly was the last time it worked and were you on shore power or battery at the time?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
Lieutenant

The boat is kept in a rack-and-launch facility at the marina so head is only used when out on the water - meant to say fuse instead of breaker. I did check the fuse labels below the dash and that's where I didn't see anything labeled for the head pump. I had the boat (battery switch) on the house battery which was working fine with other systems (CD player, water pump, etc.) I was out yesterday and wanted to do the voltmeter check but access to the push-switch is apparently through the toilet paper holder panel which I though could be easily removed by taking out 2 screws but evidently was also glued to the cabinet panel. The motor end of the wiring is directly connected so no easy way to check for 12v at that end either. (Why they don't have a quick-disconnect plug at the motor is beyond me) Anyway I don't have time to work on it this week so having the marina take a look so it's ready (hopefully) for next weekend. I'll let you know what they find.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:36 AM   #4
tzw
Ensign

I'm going to hijack this thread instead of starting a new one in order help people that have this probem and use the search function...

So last weekend I had the same problem, The electric head in my 01 2500scr quit working. Turns out the fuse is right behind the battery switch. by the way you can access the push button switch by removing a panel in the aft cabin, two screws hold the panel in place.

Anyway I replaced the fuse, flushed the toilet a couple times and moved on. the next day, go to use the head and nothing. I replace the fuse, flush it a couple times, later that evening still works fine. get up the next morning....nothing....

I assume there is a problem with the motor. its sticking in a certain spot or shorting to ground somehow. any suggestions on how to identify the problem before I replace the motor?
tzw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
Admiral

get an volt/ohm meter and check the leads....slowly turn the motor over to see if it goes to zero...if it stays at 1 or so ohms...then each branch of the armature is ok...
then check all the leads and connections including ground for corrosion...excessive resistance will cause the fuse to blow......

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #6
Lieutenant

My problem was a bad motor blowing the fuse repeatedly - replaced the motor and it was fine the remainder of last season and so far early into the Michigan boating season this year. Sorry - should have posted the fix info last season.