Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Is this part of the zinc anode system?

Last weeked I was inspecting my B3 outdrive and noticed this broken bare wire that would normally be connected from the fixed part of the outdrive on the transom to the moving leg. It looks like a tiny grounding wire. I assume it must be part of the sacrificial anode system. Can anyone confirm this and let me know if it is important that I fix this.

ShoreAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
Admiral

It is a part of the ground system and yes you need to replace it! I had one break last year.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Thanks, were there any symptoms that you noticed? Did you just get it from a hardware store or did you go to your dealer?
Old 04-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

While it technically has nothing to do with the removeable/replaceable sacrificial anodes, that wire is part of the MerCathode system which works in conjunction with the sac anodes to help protect the B3 drive and it's components. If you look around on the outdrive and in the engine compartment you'll find others. The module that powers the MC system is mounted on the engine. The MC system draws a tiny bit of power from the battery and is usually wired directly to the battery so that it remains on even if the battery switch (if one is present) is turned off.

Although wise to do so, it is not imperative to replace that wire immediately if you don't leave the boat in the water. If you do leave it in the water and/or boat in salt water replace it. Pretty sure it's stainless steel.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Thanks Dan. That is about what I thought. I am in fresh water but I do leave my boat in the water all summer. I will replace it as I have read that the B3 drive is particulary prone to corrosion due to the electric current attracted by the different types of metals used in the B3. I might jsut crimp a connector on it until I find the correct replacement wire.