Old 07-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Ignition or starter motor?

Something that has happened since i owned the boat and happened to the last owner but seems to be getting worse. I can turn the key and get a faint click from the engine bay, turn off turn on for about 10 times and it will then turn over, would it be the ignition or the starter motor on its way out?

We have lived with it, but now get worried when we stop a long way from home that the engine wont start

Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

The clicking you hear is the solenoid on the starter motor engaging but there isn't enough current to the starter to turn it, or the motor itself is going bad.

When it finally turns over - does it sound "normal", as in nothing wrong at all?

If yes, could be the starter, but could just as easily be dirty or loose connections. I would eliminate the latter by checking the cables at the battery and the positive cable from the battery to the starter and the negative cable where it connects to the engine block. In fact, remove that neg cable from the block clean the end of it and the surface on the block to which it connects, then reinstall.

But do so carefully. Removing/installing those cables may cause a spark so make certain the bilge is free of gasoline fumes by letting the engine compartment air out for a spell while running the blower.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
Commander

Warpa,
I just solved this same problem after fighting it for a year, replacing the starter motor and rewiring the corroded fuse block didn't solve the problem. I finally traced it to the slave solenoid on top of the motor. Follow the trouble shooting at this address: http://www.sterndrives.com/no_crank_condition.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-08-18_204522_mercstartingsystem.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1315

I would have to repeatedly turn the switch to get the engine to turnover. Turns out that when I opened up the solenoid it was arc striked on the contacts. New solenoid is ~$20. Good luck.

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

[QUOTE=CountryME;16295]Warpa,
I just solved this same problem after fighting it for a year, replacing the starter motor and rewiring the corroded fuse block didn't solve the problem. I finally traced it to the slave solenoid on top of the motor. Follow the trouble shooting at this address: http://www.sterndrives.com/no_crank_condition.html

Attachment 1315

That could well be it, when it turns over it turns over fine, i will check connections 1st. Hopefully it will be a cheap fis for once

I would have to repeatedly turn the switch to get the engine to turnover. Turns out that when I opened up the solenoid it was arc striked on the contacts. New solenoid is ~$20. Good luck.

EDIT* do you have a part number by any chance?
Old 07-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #5
Commander

Slave Solenoid P/N: 89-96158T

That's the part # for my 2000 4.3L v6. Good luck...the piece of mind you get when the motor turns over every time you turn the key is worth the small investment.

-JP
Old 07-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Thanks man
Old 07-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

You might want to check out the ignition switch. Mine was doing almost the same thing. I would turn the switch and it would just go "clunk" and not turn over. I would continue to try and start, and finally it would turn over. Finally the switch just totally gave out and I could turn the key 360 degrees. So what was happening was the key would actually go past the connection and not start. Replaced with a new ignition switch ($19 and 15 min) and everything is fine now. After I had the starter rebuilt and the solenoid replaced.
tjwieseler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:59 AM   #8
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to BayBoy

You also have the emergency kill switches (little red buttons with lanyards attached to them) in the loop. Since they are rarely used they can corode over time.
BayBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:29 AM   #9
Ensign

Great question! My 2000 1900SR is doing the exact same thing. I just went outside and checked the voltages on the slave solenoid. Yep! That was the problem. I shorted out the two top terminals with a wrench, and it turns over every time. Gonna go pick up a 89-96158T at the local shop tomorrow. Thanks for the info guys. That's what I love about forums...one person's question may answer several peoples problems. :-)
Brewyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 AM   #10
Commander

Brewyet, don't throw out that old slave solenoid. Open her up, take some emery to the contacts and slap it back together...you now have a working spare! And if you break it taking it apart, it was junk anyway.

Glad others could learn from my troubleshooting saga.

-JP
Old 07-11-2011, 02:36 AM   #11
Admiral

welcome to the zoo brew....

thanks for the report out..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
johnmartin348

I think your spark plug is not working properly, You should change it. Check the carborator that is there any carbon there or not.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmartin348 View Post
I think your spark plug is not working properly, You should change it. Check the carborator that is there any carbon there or not.

Spark plugs only have 8 hours use, timing and mixture have all been done and when running its lovely and smooth.

As for changing the ignition, does that invlolve a key change too as my keys are worn and the ignition barrel is a bit corroded, so for small money new would be nice
Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #14

IF the plugs were bad, the starter would crank without issues, however the engine would either not fire or would run poorly. The same behavior with the carb. In this case it sounds like there is an intermittent issue with the starter not turning over at all. This would be more indicative of either a starter or electrical issue.

Just to add to the confusion. I had this same problem a few years ago and it turned out to be the Postive connector to the start itself was heavily corroded. Cut off the old connetor, then ended replacing the entire cable since the copper inside the sheathing was heavily corroded. That resolved the issue for me. It doesn't hurt to take a look at the cable and connector going to the starter as well.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #15
Lt. Commander

It was the slave solenoid, clap for that man that suggested it
Old 07-23-2011, 05:40 AM   #16
Commander

Happy to help!

-JP
Old 07-25-2011, 06:05 AM   #17
Ensign

Hi,

I just found this forum. I am having the same starting problem. The last two times out I have had to get towed back to the dock. The engine turns over fine but about every 8th time it will not turn over. The cranking sounds fine it will just not fire up. I try to start it until it floods. I have to let it sit for about 30mins before it will start again.

How do I test the solenoid? With a multimeter?

Can someone post photos where this part is located and what exactly it looks like? And how to change it out.

I have a 93 20ft Ed Baur

Thanks!
Jet_Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #18
Admiral

welcome to the zoo JS....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #19
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Speed View Post
Hi,

I just found this forum. I am having the same starting problem. The last two times out I have had to get towed back to the dock. The engine turns over fine but about every 8th time it will not turn over. The cranking sounds fine it will just not fire up. I try to start it until it floods. I have to let it sit for about 30mins before it will start again.

How do I test the solenoid? With a multimeter?

Can someone post photos where this part is located and what exactly it looks like? And how to change it out.

I have a 93 20ft Ed Baur

Thanks!
I dont think it will be a solenoid if its turning over still. Mine wouldnt turn over at all, then after a while of keep turning the key it would eventually turn over and fire up. Yours sounds more like a fuel or spark problem. Have you fitted new plugs lately and had the mixture of fuel/air adjusted?

Have a look at the plugs and see what condition they are in, may be 'wet' from over fuelling so it could be flooding easily, could be black from deposit build up.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:17 AM   #20
Ensign

I have not had time to look but another detail is it always happens at the end of the day when I am ready to come in. I am usually out on the water for 7hours and started it about 6x with out problems. On the first start up of the day it starts the easiest. While running idle and cruising it is so smooth.

Anyone ideas?

Thanks.

Jet_Speed is offline   Reply With Quote