Old 06-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Question Ideas on under windshield gelcoat restore, repair or cover?

I'm looking for some ideas on how to best handle the gelcoat under the windshield area. I specifically have a 1990 SCR-27, however this could apply to any boat.

It doesn't seem that there is an easy way to remove the windshield to allow this area to be be wet-sanded/compounted/waxed.

The area is heavily sun damaged, chaulking, etc.

Because of the angle of the windshield it would be very hard to get a power buffer into the corners and close to the windshield.

Does anyone have any ideas how to improve this area? Perhaps cover the area with glue on carpet (I don't know if I would like this), or otherwise cover it?

Any ideas or thoughts on it would be appreciated.

Rich
ImRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

I talked to a dealer looking for ideas. He said "why not paint it flat black"? He feels this will look ok, and reduce glare. He says this is done on some performance boats.

It's one idea, and perhaps, instead of 'flat black', I would think some sort of 'anti-skid' treatment that is used on decks may be better. I would worry about the flat black getting excessively hot in the sun.

But this still leaves the problem working on this area. I haven't yet figured out if the windshield is easily removable, and my guess is that it's not easily done.

Rich
Old 06-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I'm guessing the same Rich. The windshield assembly is likely to be a total PITA to remove. I suspect the factory attaches the WS to the hull cap/liner before they attach the cap/liner to the hull.

I'm pretty sure the bottom of the WS frame - where it meets the fiberglass, has studs that protrude through holes in the cap, and secured with nuts from the under side. You'd have to be able to get to those nuts. You could possibly pull the headliner down in the cabin to get to the ones in front but the ones along the sides, atop the gunnel's, are not going to be fun - if you can get to them at all.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

I wonder how a cover material perhaps something like this would work? www.seadek.com

Rich
Old 06-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #5

Seadek is a great solution. Also, just because you can't get a buffer under there, doesn't mean you can't wet sand, or compound buff by hand. You might want to give that a shot first. I would not paint it black. Maybe some performance boats do it, but on an express cruiser, I think it would look like $&!^.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Lt. JG

I agree with Shrew some good old hand work is what I would try first. I think you can get it done it just might take a little time. Good luck.
Brian
BDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Hand tools?

You guys are no fun! I like power tools!

I'll take any other ideas if anyone has attacked this area yet.

Rich
Old 06-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Lt. JG

I've got the same issue with a 97 2700SCR. I have been using PoliGlow on the exterior and it is turning out great. I will also use it on the area you are talking about. First time using PoliGlow, so we will see how it holds up.

Bryan
carolinadiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
Admiral

poly glow from what I understand doesn't do well with uv light ....turns yellow over time.....see how that goes for you...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRich View Post
Hand tools?

You guys are no fun! I like power tools!

I'll take any other ideas if anyone has attacked this area yet.
We're not talking about a large amount of space here. It would be significantly more labor to try and remove the windshield than it would be to do a few square feet by hand. No sense is spending 6 hours labor to save 1 hr of waxing. But that's just me.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
Lt. Commander

I've started to work on this area. It sure is a pain to get under the windshield, but I will continue!

It sure looks a lot nicer after it has been polished! No more chalky look. Unfortunately, the gell coat here has a lot of sun damage, small looking spider cracks (each one is very short, so I hesitate to call them spider cracks).

Rich
Old 06-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

I have the same boat, same chaulkiness, same spider cracks. What would be recommended as the best polish for this small dash area. I now keep this area out of the sun with my mooring cover 95% of the time.
ShoreAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

So far I used the 3M combination restorer/wax. It's helped a lot, and the area actually has a bit of a shine now. It's not a mirror like reflector, and I may work on it some more. But it looks 500 times better so far.

My original plan was to start with 800 then 1,000 wet paper, then move to the 3M restorer/wax, but I forgot to bring my wet/dry sandpaper, so I just started using the 3M on it to see how it would work.

Rich
Old 06-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
Lt. JG

i guess i need to try this as well, any pics you can post? im having spider cracks under my windshield as well
Nauti Jenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:51 AM   #15
Lt. Commander

I have some 'before' pictures, but they are useless without the matching 'after' pictures. Since I'm not done yet, there are no 'after' pictures!

Rich