Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default how to clean stains from cockpit vinyl cushons

The other day i bought a few brown throw pillows to put in the cockpit area of our 98 scr 3000. they looked great & added extra comfort. The next day i noticed where the edges of the pillows touched the vinyl cushons there was brown marks. Kinda like the dye from the pillows transfered to the vinyl. I cant get the marks off & am starting to give up. Help or suggestions please. Here is what i tried. Oxy clean & tooth brush. fantastic, spray 9 ,armour all, rubbing alcohol on a Q tip & alcohol gel hand cleaner. Im wiling to try almost anything so i all ears.
Thanks
Timer

timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Admiral

Try some of this .. If noting else it's great for protection.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Cleaner-Con...=vinyl+cleaner

Also, this sounds strange but leave the area exposed to sunlight if possible.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
Admiral

Gee Timer ....maybe time to get out the blow torch? Maybe try a very little dab of acetone. Are you letting these products sit alittle while to soak in? I would of thought an oxy clean paste would work....

I would get those pillows out of the boat asap!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

How about dabbing on a little white vinyl dye? Use a q-tip to carefully control the application.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Thanks for the responces. I am going to give your suggestions a try. Probably use the dye method last but its nice to have a plan Z . Where would i buy such dye?
Timer
Old 08-14-2013, 03:10 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

Magic Eraser usually works best
dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Sorry
Actually i tried the majic errasor. No dice. Those things are must on a boat & have saved me several times. I did try everything suggested including hydrogen peroxide. rubbing alcohol, varsol, methenol hydrate. I thought i would be a wise guy & take some of my cleaners,solvents & put them on a q tip & rub the pillow that caused the damaged. I was simply thinking that what ever product transfered the colour to the q- tip would probably work best on my vinyl. Can you believe not one of above made the colour bleed to the q-tip. Very wierd.
Timer
Old 08-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by timer View Post
Sorry
Actually i tried the majic errasor. No dice. Those things are must on a boat & have saved me several times. I did try everything suggested including hydrogen peroxide. rubbing alcohol, varsol, methenol hydrate. I thought i would be a wise guy & take some of my cleaners,solvents & put them on a q tip & rub the pillow that caused the damaged. I was simply thinking that what ever product transfered the colour to the q- tip would probably work best on my vinyl. Can you believe not one of above made the colour bleed to the q-tip. Very wierd.
Timer
maybe a hot steem machine.
rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #9
Lieutenant

Update. I tried all the above with some results but nothing that did the trick 100% . I did not reseal the vinyl from future stains as i took the look & see approach. Someone said it will probably fade over time. You were partially right. I did try one last thing with more good results. Tide to go in a pen type despencer. The stains are nearly gone now. More waiting . trying & more Tide to go. Im confident ill get it. Tide to go a must to keep on board along with , OXY clean, Magic eraser, Rubbing Alcohol.
Thanks
Timer
Old 09-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
Captain

I as the captain and the custodial maintenance officer of my boat, decide to vacuum the berth with the hose attachment and placed the vacuum on the seat as I performed my duties.

I got a commendation for removing all the sand off the berth from the kids bathing suits, but got reprimanded for letting the vacuum beater brush chew a hole through seat!

$85 to get it recovered..... soooooo, roll with it!
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
Lieutenant

DON'T Use Magic Eraser on your vinyl guys. A Magic Eraser is a micro-abrasive sponge. It essentially sands your vinyl. Yes it's not fun to have a stain. I have a small stain on my aft settee seat that is from the ink off of a bag of bread(expiration date arrrgh) as we packed on a sunny day. I've tried many things too, but some dyes, just won't be able to be removed until they fade from UV. I just caution all of you that use a Magic Eraser for vinyl. You'll sand right through the vinyl.

www.vikingbay.co
Nehalennia is offline   Reply With Quote