Old 05-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default How to clean clear vinyl?

Hi again, when we bought our boat last year we knew the clear vinyl on the canvas etc was dirty but thought with some elbow grease we could get it clean. We've tried windex, 409, soft scrub, a warm water /Dawn bath overnight, powerwashing, brush scrubbing with a number of cleaners, soaking in 100 deg water in the hot tub, but NOTHING will loosen up the grunge you see in the pic. Any ideas short of replacing the canvas? Thanks, Tom.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #2

Hi Tommyfmu,

I have the answer for this one, Meguiars "PLASTEX plastic polish. One botttle will do the whole set. Clean the eisen glass with soap and water towel dry. then I lay the windows on a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood on sawhorses. Apply the plastex polish with a micro fiber cloth in hand size circular pattern. allow to dry a few minutes, then polish with another dry clean micro fiber towel. I have used this regimine at the beginning and mid season and your windows will look clear as crystal. They also clean easier and bead water. this is what the polish will do.....(and these eisen windows are 3 years old!)

Bella Sera

Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Tom,

You might try a very fine rubbing compound with a DA buffer, and then follow that up with a cleaner specifically made to clean plastic - something like "Scratch-X" for instance.

At the worst you could send out your bits to have the the clear plastic - AKA "Eisenglass", panels replaced - which is what I had to do because the EG in the rear camper enclosure was yellowed and cracked.

The replaced panel was - if I recall, approx 52"X70" and cost an extremely reasonable 75.00 to have a new piece sewn in. Leta's Top Shop. I shipped it out, they shipped it back. I used the same gauge and quality material that was original but you can also opt for better - at greater cost, natch.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Ensign

Tom,

I too have used the Meguiar's Plastex polish when I had my old Jeep Wrangler (w/ the soft top of course). Worked pretty well. Just my 2 pennies
Lars72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:47 AM   #5
Admiral

well...hate to say this ..but with all the stuff you beat the eisenglass up with...the plastex may not work...replacement might be the only thing left to do.......I can honestly tell you that when they get bad...dry..cracked....that the only thing to do is have the old ones zipped out..and new eisenglass stitched in......it's not bad cost wise and you get new eisenglass....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

SP I think you nailed it and think that grunge won't come off no matter what we do, so I called Leta yesterday and emailed her a pic. Sounds very reasonable to redo the eisen, until we replace all the canvas in a few years. Thanks for all the input everyone and will use the recommended products to keep the new EG in proper shape.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #7

Cool I can see clearly now the haze is gone.........

Hey Tommy,

SP may be right if your windows are too far gone then "it's curtains for your curtains!" Plastex is great but it can't work miracles. Protect your investment and take my advice with your new eisen glasst though. Protect them with Plastex from day one then continue twice a season and they will last years longer, my 3 year old set are proof, the pictures don't lie. You 'll boat safer by seeing more clearly too.

Enjoy your boating season.

Bella Sera

Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote