Old 10-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Ensign

Default How Do I Identify General Purpose Prop?

What I want to know is what prop would MAXUM recommend if I did not have a specific requirement for boat such as maximum power or speed, exclusive fishing or ski use, etc?
I consumated a late season deal I couldn't pass up on a 1995 2300SC, MCM5.7L-4bbl with a 6 year old alpha drive.
I beleive I may have an out of balance prop. When trimed to the sweet spot on flat water, there is a slight but detectable vibration. with no chatter or whining. Exhaust bellow has a small tear in it so she's a little noisy.
Boat came with 3 props of different diameters and pitch, one mounted. All props look used, OK with no nicks, gouges or evidence of "dressing". I'm not sure I could tell if it was reconditioned or not based off my experience.
I would like to have one of them professionally reconditioned, I have a reliable source. It's cheaper than a new one, but before I go that route, WHICH ONE?
I live on a lake with access to the Erie canal. I use boat regularly for rafting up, cruising canal and even fish once in a while. This was my 3rd season boating. My financials put me in used, but lovingly cared for vessels. I tend to do my own maintenance. Sorry for all the blah-blah-blah, but it seems that selecting a prop is like like selecting a toupee (There doesn't seen to be a straight up answer). Thanx; Cp

chaswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: How Do I Identify General Purpose Prop?

well..there is a prop thread here that splains alot of information that your asking...the lower the end number the lower the pitch...meaning say a 14x19 has a pitch of 19 inches...or ...the boat moves 19" fwd with one revolution of the prop..the 14 is the diameter of the prop...
now...the larger the end number ...the more the prop is going to bite into the water..a 19" pitch will usually bite more water than a 16" pitch....the lower that number is the less water it will bite but it will get you out of the hole faster than a 19" will....alot of skiers will use a smaller pitched prop to get the boat out of the water and the engine turning up at the WOT so they can get up to speed better...
the larger the prop...the more water it bites..the more torque is required and the more the boat will dog down on launch...but...with that said...the higher the top end is...for every inch of change in pitch ..the wot will move 200rpms one way or the other depending on the direction of the change...meaning....if you go from a 19" pitched prop....and your wot is say 4400rpm...to a 21" prop...your wot should change to 4200 rpm....but..top speed might be a mile or two per hr faster....
here's a good site for props....

http://www.ptprop.com/component/option, ... /Itemid,1/

SP irate:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote