Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default hot water smells foul

1998 scr 2800
the hot water lout of all faucets smells pretty nasty while the cold is fine. I flushed it quiet a bit which helped but it's back. I've read that it may be the anode needs replaced. Does the hot water tanks on maxum have an anode? if so any idea on where to purchase one?
I've also ready people using a small amount of bleach in the tanks and flushing throughally. I'm guess this hot and cold water isn't for consumption such as coffee etc since bleach is being used. Even flushed out I can't imagine you'd want to drink that water after bleaching.
any thoughts appreciated.
thanks, BB

Baby Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
Admiral

I am not aware of any anode but I don't use my hot water heater either. Mosy boating stores carry water treatment try there also I am sure others who use their hot water will chime in.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
Commander

Baby Blue,
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but your municipal water supply has bleach and fluorine added to it. You drink bleach in every cup of water you use to drink.

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:15 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

Every season I bypass the hot water heater before winterizing and draining the water tank. I use a bucket of non-tox to winterize the lines. Hot non-tox smells awful. Then in the spring, I use a gallon of bleach and 4-5 gallons of water and fill the lines with the watered down bleach. Let sit for 24 hours to disinfect the lines. Rinse alot. A couple hundred gallons does the trick and the water is perfect.

Now since you already have non-tox in your heater you want to fill it and empty it a couple times using the drain on the heater. Then you can bleach your system. If you are worried about the bleach, after rinsing with 200 gallons of fresh water add some water conditioner (available at your local aquarium or pet store). The more you use your water from your tank the fresher it will stay.
dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbriceno View Post
. I use a gallon of bleach and 4-5 gallons of water and fill the lines with the watered down bleach.
That's not really 'watered down'.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
That's not really 'watered down'.
That's right. It's about 20% bleach. I want to be sure to disinfect the lines. My tank water is perfect every year. Realize I use 50-100 gallons per week. On vacation I use that much every day. I don't use my city water hookup.
dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #7
Admiral

We buy a small bottle of beach every spring , pour it in and let it sit for a day. I think that is the trick to get the stink out. Then next day we flush the tank out with all the faucets open, both hot and cold, with a hose in the fill opening going about half blast with the water so that the tank does not run dry. If you use the pink stuff it get all of that out. It does get rid of the stink and cleans the lines.

Yes don't use this water to drink. We always have a case of bottled water on hand for drinking.

Works nicely!

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote