Old 04-24-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Gimbal Bearing Replacement

Is the gimbal bearing something that i can do myself? Also how easy is it to change the u-joints?

jlpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
Commander

You have to pull the leg and you will need a puller to pull the bearing and a driver .Be sure to line up the grease hole when you drive the new one home. It can be tricky how good are you on repairs????.If you pull the leg I would take it to a shop for the u-joints to be done.good luck

cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Lt. JG

I've been debating the same question, but fro a different reason. I need to replace my shift cable and figure if I'm going to do that, I might as well get the rest of the back-end (bellows, gimbal bearing, u-joints, etc).... i think the key, as previously mentioned, is having the right tools. In addition to the puller and seater mentioned above (both fairly cheap ar Harbour Freight ~%50), you will also need an alignment tool which it appears the best deal is on eBay ($100-150) - someone coulds start a nice business doing online rental of these tools

There are a ton of articles out there, even some YouTube videos... I'll try to document my adventue and post back... hope to get it done in the next couple weeks.
jkcoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
Commander

Just to add I made a stand for my leg (bravo3) that makes it a one man job to remove and install the leg no lifting at all.I made it out of steel but wood would work go online there are lots of pic.Don't forget the hinge pin tool and line up the grease hole when you drive bearing it home and bellows glue if you change that .good luck not that hard to do.
cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Lt. JG

I finally finished the work and got the boat in the water thanks for the help. It really was not that difficult except trying to get all the hose clamps tight but it all worked in the end. I did have one issue when i got on the water i had no reverse. I guess when i pulled the shift cable thru i must have spun the adjustment screw. I will mess with this when i get it out of the water.
jlpete is offline   Reply With Quote