Old 06-02-2016, 08:22 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Fresh Water Tank

Any tips on how to get a stale fresh water tank smelling fresh again? One thing I am concerned with is draining it completely then having problems priming the pump. Thanks

Oh, it a 2600se.

CaptNCamille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
Admiral

Well Capt there are ways to do this. First Starbrite makes a water purification additive. Throw it in the tank and you are done. Then.... I do the 1/2 a cup bleach method. Put the bleach in the tank and next day flush it all out. You should open up all your faucets both hot and cold. Your pump should not have to be primed if so need to upgrade.. if your water tank is really bad you might have to do this a couple times.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:33 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

I use a gallon of bleach with about 5 gallons of water. I make sure the lines are filled and leave it overnight. I then rinse it multiple times. My water is always really fresh. Now I have a lot of water lines so half may be good for you. I also never use the city water input. I keep my tank full and use it constantly. You may want to bypass the hot water heater since they are difficult to fully flush
dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:37 AM   #5
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbriceno View Post
I use a gallon of bleach with about 5 gallons of water. I make sure the lines are filled and leave it overnight. I then rinse it multiple times. My water is always really fresh. Now I have a lot of water lines so half may be good for you. I also never use the city water input. I keep my tank full and use it constantly. You may want to bypass the hot water heater since they are difficult to fully flush
Is there a difference between filling the tank when needed verse just keeping the hose attached and on all the time?
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:50 AM   #6
Admiral

The hose should bypass the tank and there is a valve to keep it from back feeding into the tank.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:13 AM   #7
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
The hose should bypass the tank and there is a valve to keep it from back feeding into the tank.
So any contaminants in the tank don't come out the faucet, but at the same time, water in the tank gets stale?
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:30 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysprocket View Post
So any contaminants in the tank don't come out the faucet, but at the same time, water in the tank gets stale?

Yep if you keep the hose on and don't use water while under way.

Mike
Old 06-03-2016, 10:44 AM   #9
Lt. Commander

In addition if your water connection fails internally the hose could fill the boat with water. Not Good.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:19 PM   #10
Lt. JG

Well as suggested I poured some bleach into the fresh water tank and let it sit overnight. This morning I emptied the tank, refilled it with fresh water, and as I feared the water pump wouldn't prime. Any suggestions on how to prime the pump. It's supposed to be self priming, (JABSCO). but I guess not.. I can see air in the line.

Thanks in advance for your help....
Old 06-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #11
Admiral

I don't know Capt how to get a self priming pump that isn't priming to work correctly other than replacing it. Something inside the pump is not working right ....duh!

Maybe someone will chime in with a trick or two. If in the budget I would look into a new pump. FYI.......Many RV shops carry these Jabsco pumps at a discount compared to a marine store.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:54 PM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNCamille View Post
Well as suggested I poured some bleach into the fresh water tank and let it sit overnight. This morning I emptied the tank, refilled it with fresh water, and as I feared the water pump wouldn't prime. Any suggestions on how to prime the pump. It's supposed to be self priming, (JABSCO). but I guess not.. I can see air in the line.

Thanks in advance for your help....
Try cracking the line loose on the pumps output.

Mike
Old 06-05-2016, 03:18 AM   #13
Lt. Commander

Part of putting bleach in the tank is to sanitize it as well as all your water lines. Similar to winterizing you want to get bleach in all the lines to sanitize them. In regards to priming the pump. If you fill the tank and leave the hose running in the filler it may prime itself. Otherwise you can disconnect the feed from the tank inj front of the pump and fill the line with water to prime it. It can be a pain in the butt sometimes