Old 07-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Fresh water flush

Hi everyone, have a new to me 2003 2500se, 5,0 liter carb with a flush out connection under rear seat. I was hoping someone can give me the particulars on using this as I am in salt water full time. Questions such as, do I just hook up hose or does engine have to be running or cold, and how will I know if it is flushing. Thanks in advance, I learned much from this site aready. Chuck

Chuck703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Captain

this is a little add on toy some guys like to use.

nothing more then a T- connection with two hose claims and a cap.

all it dose is push fresh water thru your engine, and manifolds at the end of each run to avoid salt buildup.

if you have a fresh water cooled engine like your car with antifreeze and heat ex-changer, the flush out is only connected to the manifolds.

the reality, is like rinsing your mouth with water after every meal, it might help your teeth when your 80 years old but by then who cares?

meaning, the fresh water flush after every trip might extend your manifolds life, but they usually crap out after 4 years regardless.

might be worth flushing once a month.... depending how close the hose is.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for the info pascavone. Much appreciated
Chuck703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascavone View Post
this is a little add on toy some guys like to use.

nothing more then a T- connection with two hose claims and a cap.

all it dose is push fresh water thru your engine, and manifolds at the end of each run to avoid salt buildup.

if you have a fresh water cooled engine like your car with antifreeze and heat ex-changer, the flush out is only connected to the manifolds.

the reality, is like rinsing your mouth with water after every meal, it might help your teeth when your 80 years old but by then who cares?

meaning, the fresh water flush after every trip might extend your manifolds life, but they usually crap out after 4 years regardless.

might be worth flushing once a month.... depending how close the hose is.

Is it necessary to start/run the engine when flushing after salt water use? I typically do but a gentleman walked up to me on yesterday while I was and told me it wasn't necessary to start the engine. He suggested that putting the muffs over the holes and simply running water is sufficient.
Thejanitor000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejanitor000 View Post
Is it necessary to start/run the engine when flushing after salt water use? I typically do but a gentleman walked up to me on yesterday while I was and told me it wasn't necessary to start the engine. He suggested that putting the muffs over the holes and simply running water is sufficient.
The gentleman you spoke with is INCORRECT.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote