Old 08-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
4js
Ensign

Default Enjoying my Maxum, but have a question

I posted here back in January and was warmly greeted by several of you. I've lurked and read pretty much daily since.

My 97 Maxum 3.0lx with Alpha One Gen 2 is running grrreeat!

I do have 1 concern however. I have had to add a couple of ounces to my Gear Lube Reservoir two times this year. It has never gotten past the "add" line, but has been close, so I've topped it off.

I've pulled the plug on the drive several times and there is no water intrusion, nor metal shaving on the plug.

When in the water, there is no lube creating a slick on the water. When sitting on the trailer there are no leaks on the ground.

Run time on this boat since spring is about 25 hours. In that time, it's 'used' about 5 ounces of gear lube.

Questions are:

Where's it going?
What should I do about it?

THanks!

JT

4js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
Commander

Hi JT, 5 ounces does seem like a lot for 1 season. It is not an engine so it can't "burn" it out
There really are only a few places it can leak out though and I would think you would see it after 5 ounces.
It can leak out of the prop shaft seal, lower housing gasket or upper housing gasket. With any of these you should see a raibow "sheen" in the water maybe just after running or after it has been sitting for a bit.
Could also be leaking at the input shaft seal (ask me how I know this one). This is the drive shaft with u-joints that connect the engine to the outdrive. Now when this one leaks, it will slowly fill up the drive shaft bellows and eventually overflow into the bilge. I found mine leaked worse with the outdrive trimmed all the way up, when down it only leaked while running. So if you bellows is in good shape it will not leak outside into the water.
Also could be the reservoir system leaking. There is the hose and fittings at the bottle and transom so it could leak at any of these points too. These should also leak into the bilge (or somewhere on top of the engine) so it should be visible somewhere.

So have you checked the bilge to see if it has leaked down there? After 5 ounces you should see something if it were leaking into this area. Also, are you checking the level with the outdrive in the full Down position each time? I have noticed my level varies a bit depending on drive position.

mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
Admiral

Also JT ................ I have been told that air can get trapped in between the reservoir fluid and your outdrive fluid after maintence done in the fall for lay-up. Then when you use the boat all this gets mixed and the level on your reservoir bottle drops and you wonder where it went.

I know on my bravo 2's all summer long I will add just alittle to the reservoir bottle to keep it on the line because of this.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
4js
Ensign

Thanks for the reply! There is nothing in the bilge, I have been checking that. I did forget mention that on a couple of occasions there has been gear lube on TOP of the fill cap on the reservoir. Just a little, not even enough to drip down the side. That sounds like pressure pushing it up through the little "bleed hole" on top of the cap.
My bellows look good from what I can see wihot pulling through drive. I am going to pull and replace bellows this fall once I winterize. I may find that it is in the ujoint bellows (not the correct term but you know what I mean)
Old 08-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
4js
Ensign

Also mcoffey.... my wife is from manassas and my inlaws still live there. I'm just a few hours south of you on lake gaston. We live on te Virginia side of the lake
Old 08-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Commander

Nice, actually lived in Manassas for some time back in the early/mid 90's. Been on both side of town too

Never been down to Gaston but I do hear it is nice. Maybe I will have to make a trip sometime.

mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote