Old 11-09-2019, 12:03 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Drain plug problem

Earlier this week did my end-of-season maintenance. Ran motor, drained oil, new filters. Went to drain the block and the very last blue drain plug snapped off in my hand. Looking aft, this is the left side manifold drain. There is also a hose coming down from the water pump, and they meet at a threaded fitting directly under the manifold.
I can't get the threaded part that's left in the fitting to back out. I thought I could take out the entire threaded fitting, but there is no clearance due to it hitting parts of the motor mount.
Due to tight fit, and going vertically from underneath, I tried screw driver up inside but it doesn't "bite" on anything strong enough to get it to turn out.
Was thinking my socket wrench, as it has a 90 degree angle, but dont have any attachments to get up there; again like a phillips head.
Was thinking a dremell tool with a 90 degree head and an attachment to dig out the remaining piece, like a dentists drill.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I can do this, prior to going to the local shop?

1959 Cruisers, Inc. Seafarer (sold)
The Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:53 AM   #2
Lt. Commander

Try an easy-out. They come in sets of like 3 sizes. I keep mine close.

Good Luck

MoonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #3
Admiral

I had this happen twice and then found a pair of brass fitting to replace the Mercruiser part. I had to remove the manifolds in order to remove the entire drain elbow from them but have have regretted it. The brass ones have a brass plug with wings and an o ring.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #4
Captain

The easy-out should be your first attempt. Hopefully you have enough room to work the bit. Most of them have flat sides on the shaft to work from an angle. Make sure you are centered on the plastic plug though, you don't want to mess up the threads.
If easy out won't work for you, then you can either remove the drain fitting from the manifold, or, remove the manifold. I would remove the manifold so I could get a look at the water channels in the manifold and riser. You could assume the other side is the same way. You will need a manifold and riser gasket.
Mike mentions brass drain plugs. I have not seen them but have seen the stainless steel plugs. Wrapping whatever plug you reinstall with Teflon tape will help next season.
Mike, btw, I think you meant to write "have not" regretted.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Thank you all, esp. Moonriver. That could be the answer I'm looking for. I'll go see about that today. I've never used one before, and was just drawing a blank on it.
Thanks to all.......I'll let you know how I make out.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:38 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsick View Post
The easy-out should be your first attempt. Hopefully you have enough room to work the bit. Most of them have flat sides on the shaft to work from an angle. Make sure you are centered on the plastic plug though, you don't want to mess up the threads.
If easy out won't work for you, then you can either remove the drain fitting from the manifold, or, remove the manifold. I would remove the manifold so I could get a look at the water channels in the manifold and riser. You could assume the other side is the same way. You will need a manifold and riser gasket.
Mike mentions brass drain plugs. I have not seen them but have seen the stainless steel plugs. Wrapping whatever plug you reinstall with Teflon tape will help next season.
Mike, btw, I think you meant to write "have not" regretted.
Correct, no regrets.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:54 PM   #7
Lieutenant

I tried the easy out on a flexible extension, but could not make it work. $100 and one afternoon at the shop and they had it out. Had to take off a fuel line to get better access. Not my first thought to start undoing fuel lines.