Old 08-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Captain

Default Drain for block and manifold

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1076.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	2190
My 3.0 has the two blue drain hoses as per the picture. Is there any other drain point I need to use when winterizing my engine? I think proper winterization is to run RV antifreeze through the engine then drain the block and manifold with these hoses. Anything else I would need to do? Owner's manual and maintenance guide do not give much detail.

jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:11 AM   #2
Lt. Commander

I don't know your particular engine but the procedure is pretty much the same. My engine uses blue drain plugs. You can call Mercury customer support for the exact amount of drain plugs (or hoses) for your engine. I use the flush kit. Flush the engine with fresh water first. Pull all the blue drain plugs. Use a coat hanger or wire to make sure all obstructions are cleared and water flows through. Crank the engine for just a second (don't start it) Put back the drain plugs and then run the engine with the kit using antifreeze until it flows form the exhaust. The antifreeze remains and you're done. You can also search You tube for a good demo.....

Capt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Captain

Thanks Capt Al, I appreciate the reply. I wanted to make sure that I use the drains to properly maintain my engine. It appears the drains are mostly for winterization and lay-ups.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

I have a 3.0 but it doesn't have any tubes like yours. There is a single blue plug down on the block though, under exhaust manifold. There are also brass plugs on top and bottom of exhaust manifold, and on thermostat housing. Last year I opened them all, poured in RV antifreeze until it came out each and closed them as it did (made sure it flowed full antifreeze, not mixed with water). I also only boat in fresh water so flushing not a problem.
Also before winter I took to changing outboard gear oil, and engine oil and filter.
BUT BEFORE ALL THAT, fogging the engine to a stall...
Old 08-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #5

I strongly suggest anyone who is doing their own engine work, particularly winterization purchase the Mercruiser Manual for the year and model engine. Then I would logon to the Mercruiser site and reivew all of the Service Bulletins. This is the BEST way to ensure you are not overlooking anything. I know the forum is a great place for information, however in the spring when you have that 'coffee with cream' looking oil, you don't want to find out that there was an extra drain plug added in 2002 that the guy with the 1995 motor didn't know about.

Just sayin'
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
Captain

Thanks for the replies. I have the seloc for my boat but the discussion on block draining and winterization is not very detailed. I'm hoping to get the rest of the story from you guys. regards,
Old 08-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Very good point shrew... How does one get to the TSB's though?