Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-08-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Damn the luck....

but it could of been much worse.

So after a long long day on the water Saturday I load up and go out again today because I promised my 17 year old daughter she could invite a bunch of her girlfriends out for some tubing and skiing. The day was going great, the girls were having a blast and I wasn't even stressed out dealing with eight 17 and 18 year old young ladies (they were great and a pleasure to have on board). So we are running along, 2 of the girls were tubing and all of a sudden we hear the dreaded bang and then a metallic sound...... I hit neutral right away, kill the motor and make sure the girls are OK. Girls are fine so now I'm worried about my girl, trim the motor up to see how bad things are and I only find a slightly bent prop blade. The lower unit looks good, no marks or abrasions. Thank goodness I have an aluminum prop on. So we putt our way back to the boat ramp (no spare prop) and that was the end of boating for the day.

So here are my questions; First, what else should I check to verify all is OK and second, where is a good place to buy (2) new props? The current one on my lady, (Spirit-n-Sky) finial named her, is a 14 1/2 by 19. Not sure if it is OEM.

Thanks!

brianbossman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Why does it always hae to happen with an audience???

Good to hear everyone is alright, with the exception of your "lady".. I've only owned mine for about a month now and have already gone this route.. Check out the lower drive bearings and such for play. Was you prop a standard hub type or does it have the insert in it? The one with the insert will take more beating..
As for a replacement prop.. Personally being fairly new to this and with no spare (that I could use) I went to a well recommended local marine parts guy and ggot one new one and sent in the old for repair..

Good luck!!

Old 08-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #3

Depending on how severely the prop is bent, you might be able to have a prop shop bend it back for you. That is provided it's not severe and there are no cracks in it. I would strongly suggest getting the hub replaced. It is worth having the boat pulled and a mechanic check the drive itself for any other impact damage.

I'm also a bit curious what you hit. An unmarked rock? log? Lockness monster?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
Admiral

Brian........all good info here. Just take a peek at your outdrive fluid for the next month or two. Should be dark green now and if it starts to change colors on you have another winter project. Hope it doesn't!

You should be able to get that pounded out for your prop.

Maybe your daughter and her girlfriends can throw in a 5 or 10 spot in for the prop kitty for you.........:-) Now that would be a perfect world!!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Thanks for the input guys!

I think it might of been a saturated log that I hit, I was in the water trying to find something but no luck.

No cracks on the prop so I will probable straighten it to have as a spare but I want a new one as the main prop, I'll feel better about it at least.

I found a nice 15"x19" one I might order what do you guys think? Can't imagine a half to one inch bigger would make much difference.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Commander

I have always found iBoats to be the best deal in town. They sell most all popular brands and do seem to be cheaper then anyone else. I just bought the Solas Rubex 14.3 x 21P for my 2100SR and I am happy with it. Got prop and hub kit for less than $120. Then can get another prop only (no need for another hub) for quick swapouts as needed (need a 17 or 21 vs the 19).
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoffey View Post
I have always found iBoats to be the best deal in town. They sell most all popular brands and do seem to be cheaper then anyone else. I just bought the Solas Rubex 14.3 x 21P for my 2100SR and I am happy with it. Got prop and hub kit for less than $120. Then can get another prop only (no need for another hub) for quick swapouts as needed (need a 17 or 21 vs the 19).
I just ordered a Solas Rubex as well. 14.5x19p. The old 3 blade worked well so I decided not to monkey around with things. I was thinking of ordering the 4 blade 15x17p, prop only, if I can verify that the hubs are the same and interchangeable.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbossman1 View Post
I just ordered a Solas Rubex as well. 14.5x19p. The old 3 blade worked well so I decided not to monkey around with things. I was thinking of ordering the 4 blade 15x17p, prop only, if I can verify that the hubs are the same and interchangeable.
As long as you stick with the Solas Rubex prop, I am pretty sure they all use the same hub. I took a quick guess on what you have and all of the 3 and 4 blade Alum and SS use the RBX-102 hub kit. Now you start jumping brands here, not sure what will fit
Old 08-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #9
Lt. JG

You are correct, just got off the phone with iboats (they were incredible to work with) and the hubs are the same. Solas offers 14.5 x 15/17/19/21 on the four blade and my rpm is right about where I want it so I am thinking about ordering either the 17 or 19. Anyone have any insite that might steer me? Thanks!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #10
Commander

They are easy to work with, aren't they? They have almost everything you would need, they ship fast and if you do have questions/issues, a breeze to work with. No clue on the 3 vs 4 blade, I have always stuck with 3 blade. General opinion though is moving from 3 to 4, you normally drop 1" of pitch. So if you are on 3 blade 19, I think a 4 blade 18 "should" give similar top end results but a better holeshot. That is just what I hear though.