Old 03-18-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Cup Holders

Hi Guys,

My old white cup holders are getting pretty nasty and I'd like to change them out for aluminum ones. I'm probably not going to make it to the boat this weekend but would like to order them for next time but I don’t know what size they are. I've checked the owner’s manual but it gives me no clues. It’s a 2001 2900SCR. Of course, I can wait and measure next time I'm there but if anyone has a clue what size they are, I'd appreciate it. Cheers.

Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Am in the same boat as you Cymru, 'cept mine are grey. I'd like to replace all 5 of the existing drop in holders, plus add one in the "entertainment" center right next to the sink. If yours are like mine they are stepped; the bottom is about the size of a bare can and the top is about the size of a can in a can cozy. They also have drain holes in the bottom.

I have one of mine at home and already measured it. Of course I don't recall what the measurement is off the top of my head but will check it again this evening and post.

I've been shopping online for replacements but the problem I've found is it's really tough to determine if the OD of the replacement is the same as the original. Important, that, because the replacement needs to be a tight fit like the original to make sure it doesn't pop out. Some vendors list the diameter of the larger step, others list the diameter of the lip. Some list a measuremnt but don't say what section the measurement is of.

If the replacement is a fraction of an inch too big it won't go in the hole. A fraction too small it won't stay put. Not a big prob if it's just a little too big since one could just sand the diameter of the hole a little. It's way too big it would be a PITA to make the hole larger.

I also wonder if Maxum adjusts the size of the hole to whatever holder size they get from the vendor, or if they order a specific holder size so they don't have to change the size of the hole.

These are the kind of things that keep me awake at night. LOL

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #3

What type of drink holders are you replacing? The folding plastic kind or the ones that are counters sunk?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Thanks guys. I'm talking about the countersunk ones like the link below. This is what I would like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUPHO...ssoriesQ5fGear

The things we worry about...
Old 03-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
Admiral

AKA "drop in" cup holders".

Cymru, that eBay add says they fit into a 3.7" to 4" so the max outside diameter of those must be 3.7 - or just a hair over that. They are going to rattle around like crazy in a 4" hole unless glued in. You're really going to need to know what hole diameter you have.

Dan
Old 03-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
Admiral

try this place ...for 2 bucks each..you could replace all of them for about 10 bucks...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alumi...ssoriesQ5fGear

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
Captain

the stainless steel looks nice and much better than plastic ones, only triple time expensive......so what......buy the stailess....or your woman takes the run with the money..........(haha)
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

This might be slightly off topic and I apologize if it is considered a hi-Jack of your thread. Since I have a smaller boat, I was looking to ADD more holders. Found these nifty but pricey Seasucker mounts (vacuum not suction). Mount on almost any surface horizontally or vertically and are sturdy as heck. Bought 2 double ones at boat show - got him down from 85.00 per to 70.00 per. Work great. Go to their website seasucker.com they have mounts for just about anything. Again, sorry if a hijack.
New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
Admiral

CY -

Measured mine last night. Taking the measurement just under the lip it's right about 3 11/16" - give or take 1/32". Measured across the lip it's right at 4 1/32 - give or take 1/32nd's. It actually has a very slight taper to the barrel - maybe a 1/16th difference.

Unfortunately I don't know if you can assume that yours will measure the same as mine, but it would be interesting to know. Steve (Seapuppy), would be interesting to know yours too. Might be a long shot but perhaps Brunswick standardized on one size hole across several brands.

Not really OT Brian, I need to add some to my boat as well. My 2400 has not a single cup holder aft of the helm seat. I'll add a drop-in at the e-center but still need some more. I saw those SeaSuckers and am interested. Might you be able to snap a couple of picks? How far do the sick out from the surface they are mounted on?

Dan
Old 03-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

No problem Brian, have to take a look at them.

I was talking about them last night and the Mrs. had actually brought one home last time we were at the boat so I measured it and inside diameter is 3.5'. Outside is not at easy to be 100% but it’s around 3.7'. I think I'm going to splash out and spend $50 on the stainless steel ones. I'll let you know when they arrive. Also, since the weather is looking good (72F/22C & blue sky) for Saturday I'm going to have to cancel my other plans and get up to the lake.

Cheers all. Have a good weekend.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
CY -

Measured mine last night. Taking the measurement just under the lip it's right about 3 11/16" - give or take 1/32". Measured across the lip it's right at 4 1/32 - give or take 1/32nd's. It actually has a very slight taper to the barrel - maybe a 1/16th difference.

Unfortunately I don't know if you can assume that yours will measure the same as mine, but it would be interesting to know. Steve (Seapuppy), would be interesting to know yours too. Might be a long shot but perhaps Brunswick standardized on one size hole across several brands.

Not really OT Brian, Might you be able to snap a couple of picks? How far do the sick out from the surface they are mounted on?

Dan
Dan,

Here are a couple of photos I took Saturday. They also have the ones that mount vertically as well as these horizontal ones. Hope this helps.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
photoCH1.jpg   photoCH2.jpg  

New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote