Old 07-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to BayBoy
Default Correct battery switch settings for a 3200SCR

Since I don't have the original manual I am hoping someone can tell me what the battery switch settings should be for a 1999 3200SCR. First, should 1 battery be a cranking and the other a deep cycle? If both switches are set to 1 does that mean both engines will start using battery 1? Just a little confused as to what I am actually switching.

BayBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming you have the standard 2 battery setup with a perko switch between them

As you spin it you have 4 options: off, 1, 2, both.

when selecting 1 then battery 1 is running everything and recieving a charge.
when selecting 'both' then both batteries are getting charged and both are running everything.
when "off" both batteries are isolated and can't power or receive a charge.

When pulling up to chill out for a bit you'll want to throw the switch over to 2. then come starting time, if you have trouble throw it to both, or 1. idea being that 1 will still be fully charged.

Also, side note - I wouldn't run different types of battery. Just 2 high quality ones such as Optima yellow tops.....

Old 07-26-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
Admiral

actually..if the batt. charger is hooked correctly ....it will charge while on the docks...however...the alt. should charge the starting batt.....what I'd get is 2 deep cycle batts...
if you have twin engines..you should have 2 start batts. and house batts...being serviced by 2 switches...

with that said....use batt #1 to start the engines...then if on the hook...use the house batt's to run lights and any 12vdc devices...switch back to #1 to start the engines...that way you always have a second batt. to start the engine if one fails while on the hook...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

whoops forgot to factor shore-power and house batteries into it!

Ignore me and listen to SeaPuppy!
Old 09-05-2008, 06:01 PM   #5

I have an odd question which is somewhat related. I have a standard 2 battery system where the battery charger is directly connected to both batteries which would indicate to me that the charger is charging both batteries regardless of the battery switch setting. This is how I would expect this to be configured.

Recently I started on battery 1 and sat on the hook on battery 1over night. The next day battery 1 was extremely low (expectedly), so I switched to battery 2. I could not lower my outdrive while on battery 2. Knowing battery 1 didn't have enough power to crank over the boat I set the battery to BOTH and was able to lower the outdrive and start the boat. I have yet to test trying to start the boat on battery 2 alone.

Is this by design or is my battery and electrical system simply incorrectly configured. I obviously became a bit worried and will now be running on Battery 1 and sitting on battery 2. I suspect setting the battery switch to both simply included the 2nd battery in the circuit with the first battery, while battery 2 is isolated when set exclusively to battery 2. However, I'd looking for some verification. I'm a computer geek, but I'm neither an electrician or a mechanic.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #6
Admiral

well...the iso switch is designed to work one or the other or both or neither...so..if your sitting on #1 and using it to start...and the other is isolated...it should have had enough juice to start and lower the drive...your #2 batt might be low on water..have a bad connection..ie corroded....thus not allowing to be properly charged or give enough current...

clean all connections...make sure they are tight....check the charger to insure it is charging properly..if the batts are a few yrs old..they may just be tired....batt life is usually 3-5 yrs.....then they die an ugly death leaving you stranded somewhere...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 09-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #7

SP, you always have great advice and can come up with a number of intersting "If/then" statements on a surprisingly wide range of topics. It's a shame people like me don't provide more information to help you narrow your troubleshooting a bit.

1) Batteries are new this year

2) Since they're not sealed and I have a cheap charger (not a smart/trickle charger) I check the fluid levels regularly to ensure they are not cooking.

3) Battery 1 was great teh day before, that night and most of the following day until eventually the stereo started cutting out. I noticed it began to struggle when the radio would die when you ran the water pump to the galley or head sink. (then the radio resumes when you shut the water off).

4) Blower ran fine on Battery 2. Boat started with battery set to BOTH.

5) Connections are clean and tight and batteries have a good charge.

The only thing I couldn't do was raise or lower the outdrive trim on Battery 2, however I could with battery set to BOTH.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #8
Admiral

thanks for the kudo's...being as old as I am...I guess i've picked up a few things thru osmosis....designing nuke subs for 17 yrs helps too..I guess :shock: hemmingways...just trying to help best I can...

back to your problem:
then I'd go back and check the connections at both sides of the cables...ie at the batt...and ground...at the plug for the trim ....etc....something is causing the batt's to not give full pwr....

Sp

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang