Old 03-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Collinite cleaner & wax

Just wanted to post a quik review of a new to me product. I bought my 2300SC last year and the PO moved around allot with the boat the last 4-5 years and the last two it was stored 90% of the time with just the camper enclosure top on it outside. One of those years was in Fla. and it had a considerable amount of oxidization on the hull. I started lurking around another forum and found allot of good information on Collinite cleaners and waxes from guys in the Fla. area so ordered some from Jamestown distributors. Let me tell you that stuff is AMAZING! I had beed working on restoring the finish with some Maquires products and a polisher, then when I received the collinite I tried a test area by hand without polisher and there was no comparison the collinite was 10x better without the polisher.
I have now completed the process with the cleaner and will be moving on to the wax this evening, I tried a test spot with the wax last night and just like the cleaner it's AMAZING. Both products go on and come off SOOOO easy that I felt obligated to share this with the board. I am sure these products are not so new to allot of you but to the ones looking for a GOOD cleaner and wax I highly suggest trying Collinite.

So much for this being a quick post.
Happy boating!

WR

Whiskey River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
Admiral

can you post some photo's of the before and after???...would like to see some handy work...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

WR,

My head has been swimming with the amount of info and products available for cleaning up the hull. I need to do the exact same thing to mine that you did to yours so your insights/experience are greatly appreciated.

So help me out, which cleaner to remove the oxidation did you get? And which wax? Did you use a machine to apply the cleaner?

Details, man, I need details! And oh, pictures would be cool too.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Excuse the delay in reply guys I have been very busy getting ready to splash her for the first time this weekend.
So to answer your questions I used the Collinite Fiberglass Boat Cleaner for oxidation by hand on most of the boat, and with a polisher on the tough spots.
I then used Collinite Heavy Duty Paste Fleetwax 885 again by hand but also done a few test areas with the buffer.
Didn't notice that big a difference between hand waxed and machine. I have only done from the water line up as my boat has a terrible scum line from the
local lake water that I intend to work on next week with On/Off hull cleaner. I too done allot of searching and reading and found the Collinite to be one of the most common
used on salt water fishing boats therefore I figured if it does a good job on a boat that has been in the salt should work even better on a boat that has not.
I bought this boat last year and done a ton of work to the drive train and once complete just couldn't find the time to work on it's looks (was too busy enjoying it).
The PO bounced around from town to town for the last 5 years and one of them being in Florida hence the oxidation but I have to say the Collinite products brought the
gel coat back out 10x better than I expected and 75x easier than expected.

About 3/4 the way through I said you know this would make a good thread for the Maxum site too bad I haven't been taking pictures so from there I snapped a few and will post those up next week.
Still have from the water line down to do also and will document that for the forum.

Here's links to the products I used from Jamestown distributors.

Cleaner
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...s+Boat+Cleaner

Wax
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...e+Fleetwax+885

On/Off
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...Bottom+Cleaner

Hope everyone has a fun and safe weekend.

WR
Old 03-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Thanks WR, will be looking forward to the photos.

Still have not decided which products to use. My tub has some oxidation but it isn't too bad. Have read a lot about the "Leverage" products and may give those a shot. Ease of use is important as I don't want this project to end up consuming massive amounts of time. Will probably buy a buffing machine to help speed things along.

When I put my boat on the trailer for the last time last year I had some nasty brown staining from the water line down. Bought some StarBrite "Sea Safe Hull Cleaner" (not as agressive as EZ ON/EZ OFF and better for the environment). I wore latex gloves and poured it from the bottle into a large sponge then wiped it on in sections. Had to do some areas twice but it turned out pretty nice. One thing to be careful of; if you're doing this with the boat on a galvanized trailer the stain remover (especially the more agressive ones) will either stain, or eat, the galvanization. Be sure you either cover the trailer with plastic under the area of the hull you're working on or keep the trailer watered down. If you drip cleaner on it hose it off immediately.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
Ensign

I used the Collinite as well on my 2300SC, I had some chaulky surfaces on the bow and some on the sides. The cleaner cleans it up good and removes crap similiar to tar and bug remover. Cleaned it in sections wiped off the haze then repeated the same steps with the wax came out pretty nice. I picked up the cleaner and wax on Ebay free shipping just search by product number.
bustac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:22 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

Yea, this stuff is great! It doesnt taste too good though. A few years back I went to grab my beer and grabbed this by accident. Did not taste as good as it cleans
jhabers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhabers View Post
Yea, this stuff is great! It doesnt taste too good though. A few years back I went to grab my beer and grabbed this by accident. Did not taste as good as it cleans
Now that's funny right there I don't care who you are.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
Lt. JG

I to used this cleaner on a 2300SC , did not work at all . Marina washed , waxed and polished the colored sides with no results . Looks like I'll have them painted next year ...

keith2300SC is offline   Reply With Quote