Old 06-10-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Can't trim the props up "help"

The motor works for the trim, you can here it bottom out when it is all the way down, but when you tilt it up it only moves at best an inch and then the motor just stops, no sound from it at all, but you do here it when it does move for that one inch. Any ideas?? Thank you for your help..

John

Johnnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
Admiral

Have you tried just the trim up button or have you tried the trailer up button?

Check the fluid level in the pump.

Next check the voltage at the up soleniod. Blue/white wires, the smaller one is from the helm switch while the larger one is power to the pump motor. Both should have 12V when the up switch is pressed.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Ok will do today, thank you!
Old 06-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
Captain

To ask more questions on this topic, as I like to do...
Whether I use the trim button or trailer button, sometimes I have to push it a few times before one of the pumps will work, but the other side will work the whole time. Because both switches have the same result, leads me to believe it's in the pump assembly for that side. Anything off hand I can check that would cause intermittent operation?
Also, when holding the trailer button, can I trim them all the way up without damaging anything or do I have to stop before they fully extend?
Finally, what is the typical position preferred for the drives while cruising? Down, up, neutral?
Thanks!
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:37 PM   #5

It's not pump assembly. It is more than likely the solenoid on the trim pump. There is one for UP and One for Down. You can jump the posts on the outside of the solenoid to bypass the gate to verify. I'm going to guess you can hear the 'CLICK' when you hit the button.

These are electrical switches. When you hit the button, a small amount of current is sent to the switch to close the gate. Once the gate is closed, the pump circuit is closed and comes on. corrosion builds on the solenoid contact either breaking or reducing connectivity.

Replace both solenoids and you should be all set.

If this happens and you're out. Hit the down or up button very, very fast 20-30 times. It will slam the gate shut a bunch of times and eventually knocks enough corrosion away to make contact. Probably what speedysprocket is describing when he hits it 2-3 times.

It will only get worse.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #6
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
It's not pump assembly. It is more than likely the solenoid on the trim pump. There is one for UP and One for Down. You can jump the posts on the outside of the solenoid to bypass the gate to verify. I'm going to guess you can hear the 'CLICK' when you hit the button.

These are electrical switches. When you hit the button, a small amount of current is sent to the switch to close the gate. Once the gate is closed, the pump circuit is closed and comes on. corrosion builds on the solenoid contact either breaking or reducing connectivity.

Replace both solenoids and you should be all set.

If this happens and you're out. Hit the down or up button very, very fast 20-30 times. It will slam the gate shut a bunch of times and eventually knocks enough corrosion away to make contact. Probably what speedysprocket is describing when he hits it 2-3 times.

It will only get worse.
That is what's happening. Thanks for that. Those solenoids are cheap enough, I'll order a couple right now!
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #7
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Just another thought;

The trim switch/trailer switch on our boat is integrated - a single rocker switch on the throttle arm that functions as both drive trim and to raise the drive for trailering. If the drive is all the way up thumbing the switch down lowers the drive, and if I hold the switch down the pump will continue to run even after the drive is all the way down.

Up is different. The switch has a built in mechanical detent. If the drive is all the way down and I just lightly thumb the switch up, the drive will raise only to the max set by the trim limiter on the side of the outdrive. When it gets to max trim the pump motor simply stops all together to prevent over trimming. If I want to raise the drive any more I have to press the switch through the mechanical detent.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Spot on Dan, that was it. I'm very relieved it's not broken. Thank you for your help and sorry I didn't get back to you all. I have been away with work and didn't get a chance to trouble shoot with everyone's help. Thanks again
Old 06-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #9
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Glad you got it sorted out John, always a good thing when a fix consumes only time but no money!

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prop, prop trim, trim