Old 09-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Commander

Default Bottom paint removal

I am thinking about buying a 94 2000SC but has some really bad bottom paint, pealing and chiping looks like 2 maybe 3 layers. (who puts bottom paint on a boat this size...gezzzzz) anyway want to remove it and back to a glossy gelcoat!

Todd

9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:58 AM   #2
Admiral

Todd...
at west marine they sell a bottom paint removal gel that really works well....get the boat up on stands and lay a tarp down....tape the top of the hull to protect the gel coat you don't want to paint....use the blue type tape........works the best...
then open the gel up and spred all over the black hull paint......let stand for about an hr and scrape off.....then wash off.....use fine sandpaper to rough up the gel coat...check for bubbles and repair with bondo....or gel coat repair kit....
then use a primer and the black bottom coat....we use this stuff for a hull that sits in salt water........

works great and looks cool...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
Todd...
at west marine they sell a bottom paint removal gel that really works well....get the boat up on stands and lay a tarp down....tape the top of the hull to protect the gel coat you don't want to paint....use the blue type tape........works the best...
then open the gel up and spred all over the black hull paint......let stand for about an hr and scrape off.....then wash off.....use fine sandpaper to rough up the gel coat...check for bubbles and repair with bondo....or gel coat repair kit....
then use a primer and the black bottom coat....we use this stuff for a hull that sits in salt water........

works great and looks cool...

SP
Click image for larger version

Name:	2000SC_Port.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1605Click image for larger version

Name:	2000SC-Port-1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1606

Sounds easy, but I didn't want to repaint! could I just buff it out after paint removal?

Todd
Old 09-19-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
Admiral

probably can..but you need to get it right down to the gelcoat and then wetsand and polish...why not go back with bottom paint??

SP

boy howdy!!...I went back and looked at your photo's...wetsand and get it down the gelcoat...then compound it and polish..that's gonna be a lot of work....might concider taking to someone that specializes in boat gelcoating...they can make it look like new!!...
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
Admiral

Todd......There is a hand tool that takes the gel-coat off of boats........usually done because of bistering on the hull and make sure your project boat doesn't have this problem........This remover takes everything off and you would start with a clean surface. Then a new layer of gelcoat gets put on. Yeah alot of work and it problably is not cheap to get it done by someone else but another idea. Talk to your local fiberglass guy about this. I have seen it done and the hand tool looks like a giant hair shearer, if that makes any sense.

Or again alot a elbow hours with the sander to take this layer off. With that said you will most likely get into the gelcoat trying to sand this bottom paint off so you will have to give the hull a coat of something........

Personally I hate every spring when I have to sand the bottom of my 3000 and put some touch-up bottom paint on. You have to have the white suit on, goggles, mask, rubber gloves and I swear you are pooping it out a couple days later.

Whatever you decide have fun!
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
Commander

Its really nasty. not sure what I will do, but I now have a idea of what needs to be done. Thanks for all the help. not sure if I will buy this boat, maybe this will help get the price down.

Todd
Old 09-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Lieutenant

I got a price of $650 to have my 2300 soda blasted. You would still have to repaint or gelcoat. Don't think you would be able to polish it back to original once it has been prepped for bottom paint.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

That sounds like a miserable job nearly beyond my comprehension, Todd, I think you're nuts. LOL

If it were me I'd remove all the loose bits then just bottom coat it again. After all, ya can't really see much of it when it's sitting in the water!

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
Commander

How about acetone? It works pretty good as a general paint remover and it does love to clean fiberglass. Just not familar with bottom paint so maybe it is not strong enough?
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
Commander

I was thinking I could use the bottom paint removal gel followed by acetone and buff it out. I really don't want to put the bottom paint back on but...unless i have to. (haven't bought the boat yet but need to know what I am getting into if I do)

Todd
Old 09-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #11
Lt. JG

Todd, not sure if you need bottom paint in salt water, but we couldn't live without it here in the Midwest. My advice to you is to have a professional repaint the bottom (they will take off the existing paint and do it right) and then every year you can use bottom paint and just touch it up yourself. A few hundred bucks up front, then $100 can of bottom paint lasts us 3 years so far on repainting the entire bottom of our 2800, so it goes a long ways if you have a good foundation. So much easier than having to acid wash it, and keeps the grimey beard off of it here. Sounds like it's too much work what you want to do, but good luck either way!
M & M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #12

It is going to be very, very, very difficult to get the bottom back to Pre-bottom painting. The process to apply bottom paint typically calls for sanding the gelcoat with 80 grit sandpaper. The process of removal is going to be even worse. sand or soda blasting will definitely bang up the bottom. Your best bet would be to remove the bottom paint, prepare the hull then barrier coat and repaint. Otherwise, you're going to need to re-gel coat the bottom. Even that will not look perfect.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:33 AM   #13
johnmartin348

Hello Todd,

There are many paint removal available in market from which you can choose. You can also contact West Marine they also sell bottom paint removal which works really very nice.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Ball View Post
not sure if I will buy this boat, maybe this will help get the price down.

Todd
sorry todd....to me this is a total wrong thinking off you.....if you totally dont like the color yellow and even throw up if you see something with that colour....would you buy a yellow one......even if it would be one of your favorites......( a car or wathever)

just think it over.......greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed & inge View Post
sorry todd....to me this is a total wrong thinking off you.....if you totally dont like the color yellow and even throw up if you see something with that colour....would you buy a yellow one......even if it would be one of your favorites......( a car or wathever)

just think it over.......greatz, ed
Its not the color, its the condition of the paint. its really nasty. I am going to strip it and repaint. Sounds easy ....but it's a messy job and will take longer in the cold. most likely a few weeks and several cases of Bud Lite...lol

Todd
Old 09-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #16
Commander

Welllllllll I bought the boat, got him down to a GREAT price, its really in good shape, "Just a little" work to do, but that will keep me outa the bars this winter.... (mostly..LOL) Engine change and the bottom paint are the 2 biggest projects. Think I'll take the easy way out for the engine and just buy a Long Block and swap all the other stuff over. The paint removal is going to be a painfull process but I have all winter. I'll be posting pictures when I get this going in Nov.

Oct is busy for me as I have to work in the US Open 9 Ball Championships in Chesakeake Va, If anyone is in town from 16-22 Oct stop by the Chesapeake Conference center and say Hi.

Todd
Old 09-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #17
Admiral

Congrats Todd!!...........have fun and yes lots of pics of you and the project in the trenches............
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by M & M View Post
Todd, not sure if you need bottom paint in salt water
I overlooked this. In saltwater you need antifouling paint even moreso than freshwater.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #19
Captain

yo todd...

congrats with buying the boat.......sand the bottom untill it looks as smoothly as the skin of a baby........maybe you need to put on a new primer and then re- antifouling her with at last 3 layers of antifouling......that will do for the first 2 years.........and that you bought her much more cheap is only good in these times off financial crisis......have fun with her during the last days of the summer......and for the winter........ you have a nice project....

greatz, ed

ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote