Old 09-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Blocked Bilge Drain Holes Between Fuel Tank and Rear Engine Compartment!

Hey guys, I need advice.

After just purchasing this 2007 Maxum 1800 SR3 I noticed the ski locker remaining full of rain water after a few days rain. There is no water in the engine compartment area since the rear plug is out. So thinking the drain holes going from front to rear were blocked I rain a fish/snake line. The snake runs what appears to be the full length under the tank but it does not exit to rear compartment. Most likely do to the holes not lining up at rear just under gas tank.

I tried snaking from the rear to front but I only get a few inches in and hit a wall of sorts. So now I'm stumped. I can't figure out how to clear this last bilge drain hole. It's the one at the rear of the tank in the bulk head that separates the tank holding area and engine compartment.

Any advice?

pinchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
Lieutenant

maybe you could try a shop vac . I have done that to clear mine in a scr2300 from engine compartment to cabin area with some success. I try'd the electrical snake thing but ran into similar problem as you.
good luck

ccruser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Admiral

compressed air works well too.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Lieutenant

This may be obvious.... But is the front higher than the back? When I first looked at my boat the bilge was dry... When I test drove it there was 6" of water under the engine... It was nose down on the trailer in his driveway and the water was under the floor and hiding. And level on the lake. It also showed I needed to fix the bilge pump....:-)
Sled600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
Captain

there is never a hole thru the fire wall of the engine compartment, to avoid carbonmonoxy leaking forward.

I would believe the sky locker has its own scupper drain.

The cruizer have a forward and rear blige for the same reason, don't want to be living and sleeping where the gas is being burned...
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #6
Admiral

Pas I would agree with you if he had a cruiser but it's an Model 1800, 18 foot boat. Probably a bowrider. Only one bildge pump in the engine compartment. The ski locker is in the floor between the port and starboard seats.

pinchio are there any drains on either side of he boat that line up with the location of the locker? If so try running the fish tape from the outside.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

My 2004 2400 SC3 cuddy has drains through each bulk head, from stem to stern.

If the ski locker is in the sole there's no way it has a scupper, the bottom of the locker is below the water line.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
Lieutenant

I have a 2004 1800SR3 and can confirm that the drain does go straight through between the ski locker and the engine compartment bilge. I have cleaned out the ski locker many times with soapy water and watched it drain through.
I would try a stiffer piece of rod fed through from the ski locker towards the engine. Other than that maybe place a bright torch one end and try to see through from the other to see what that channel looks like. It may be there is a chunk of excess gelcoat that can be chipped off in there to clear the way. I haven't had to unblock mine before but will probably have a look next time out of curiosity.
Good luck and keep us informed!!

Lee
Old 09-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
Admiral

FYI "bright torch" = bright flashlight I agree this may help determine if a blockage exists. Ye distance between the ski locker and the engine compoartment is probably no more than 3 feet.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote