Old 04-16-2021, 11:56 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Bellows replacement

Hi All,

I think after 8 years of successful cruising on my 2500 SCR(2002) it's time to replace bellows.

I don't have any experience with that and I'm gonna try to take on the project myself. I bought bellow kit from mercruiser containing all the bellows, gimbal bearing and water hose. Is it necessary to replace water hose? Is it even possible to do so without pulling out the motor? If I understand correctly it will have to be removed from inner transom plate and it doesn't look like there's enough of access.

Thanks in advance.

forbes210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:37 AM   #2
Captain

Check the condition of the hose, it usually last longer than the bellows, but I’d replace it anyway if your going in. If this is a Bravo 2, yes you can change the hose without pulling the engine. If not, I’ll defer to others on the for7m.

It’s tight quarters, but there is room to pull the two bolts holding the inner hose fitting to the transom. You’ll then have access to the expander ring thingy-dingy. A special tool is needed for this ring. If you go this route, buy another expander ring and a gasket for the plate.

Also, I’ve done bellows with removing the gimbal ring as well as without. Definitely easier if you get the tool to remove the pins located under the trim sender & limit switch.

Use Merc bellows adhesive as well, letting it tack up before assembling and be sure the little metal tab is on the bottom of the bellows when installing. It has little teeth on the inner side and it adds just enough holding power to grip the horn so it doesn’t slide off while the adhesive sets up

John

jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:34 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Thanks John! All helpful comments.

I think I'll remove gimbal ring. It's my first time doing the job and easier access will help. I'll be replacing trim and limit sender as well. It's a bravo 3 and it's tight behind the motor. I might have to remove exhaust to get better access.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:36 PM   #4
Admiral

Yes replace the hose, those insert hose retainers are know to collect marine growth reducing water flow. Don’t know why Mercruiser used this design on the Bravos but stayed with the barb fitting on the Alpha. I prefer the barb fittings.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:53 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

So I replaced the hose. This thing kicked my but! Access is terrible but after removing portion of the exhaust it was somehow possible. I should probably remove entire manifold and riser on port side.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:33 PM   #6
Admiral

Inner transom access for my boat is horrible!

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote