Old 10-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Alpha one Gen II Removal

Hi!
I tried to remove my Alpha one Gen 2 outdrive, but i got a problem...
Outdrive is connected to transom with 6 nuts, but....i have 5 normal nuts and 1 is something special...is that normal, that there is one special nut?
if you know what i mean, what kind of special tool i need to remove it???

There is three nuts in line per side, and that "special" thing is in right side and highest one (looked from back of boat).

Timppa83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Admiral

well..if memory serves me...there are 3 on each side...on the very stern of it at the cavitation plate..there is a rubber gasket ..pop that out and there should be one below that that holds the zinc on..and under the zinc there is one bolt pointing upward...that should be all....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

I think that you might have one of these http://www.mcgard.com/MarineProducts/SternDriveLocks

I had one and didn't have the key so I tack welded the inner nut to the outer sleave and used visegrips to get if off.
tjwieseler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Ensign

Yes, i just strated to think it might be some special nut to protect stealing...
here is couple pictures what i took...it's look similar what is in that link..
i have to look again boat tool boxs, if there is key.
do anyone know where i can buy tool for that, or do i take welding machine...
I just think that if i weld it and can't open it with wrench, then i'm scrued.
that outer shell is so smooth that it could be hard to get good grip with wrench, and if nut is tight it might be dificould to open like that.
Attached Thumbnails
PA090017.JPG   PA090006.jpg  
Old 10-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
Commander

If you weld be sure to put your ground on the protect nut so you don't arc through the gears.Welding would be my last out good luck
cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Ensign

Tried to find lock nut key, but no luck.
I just sended mail to that McGard company and let see if they recognise that nut and if they are able to send new key to me.
Is there any else company who manufacture these kind of lock nut...if this isn't made by McGard..
attached better picture of nut so if someone can identified it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA100023.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	956

Winter is coming fast and i think my bellows change has wait to spring.

I also allready took all stern drive oil out, and if i leave maintenance to spring i think i have to put some oil in stern drive...it can not be left without oil for winter time, right?..

does ít matter what oil i put there? can i just put some cheap motor oil in it?
because in spring i have to take oils of again, so it's just feel waste of money if i but expensive stern drive oil for storage time only.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Commander

Cool lock

if the bolt and sleeve is one you could cross drill it and a shaft and turn it off???or if you have used a cut off wheel before you could cut it off and then turn the stud off when the leg is off.If you go the weld route be sure to put the ground on the lock or you can screw up the bearings etc
cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunuck View Post
if the bolt and sleeve is one you could cross drill it and a shaft and turn it off???or if you have used a cut off wheel before you could cut it off and then turn the stud off when the leg is off.If you go the weld route be sure to put the ground on the lock or you can screw up the bearings etc
When I welded mine, I had cross drilled just to the nut then clamped the ground onto the outer sleeve and welded the hole that I had drilled. Worked great. I was also afraid of not being able to get it loose but it came right off. If the Vice grips didn't work, I was going to weld a bolt onto the sleeve. Like everyone has said, make sure to ground the sleeve.
Supposedly there are only two different keys??? I tried to get a shop to let me borrow one and they wouldn't. So if you have a good working relationship with a shop, you might want to ask them.
tjwieseler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
Ensign

i was also thinking to cut outer sleave off with dremel and meaby then i'm able to get visegrips straight to the nut...still waiting answer from mcgard..if i don't get key or it's too expensive,then i have to try something else...anyway it's looks that it have to wait spring...i live in Finland and forecast said today that firsth snow is coming this week...just need to but some storage oil inside to the drive....