Old 09-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Almost time to winterize

Hey guys,

This is the first winter that I will have my boat and the temp is starting to drop. What all do I need to accomplish? My boat (2006 1800MX) is equipped with the single port drain system (4cyc), by the looks of the manual I'll be draining the water from there. I have some gas that I'm planning on using up this weekend as I'm thinking this may be the final outing for the year. What other stuff needs to be done to winterize a boat? Fuel stabilizer, drain water am I missing anything?

Thanks
J

DJ63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
Admiral

Hey J and welcome to the club...........you know the club of snow and cold so it must winter!

If you have a Clymer's manual they have pretty much show everything you need to know about winterizing your boat. From fogging to fuel stabilizers their are a hundreds to choose from. Drain the water in your engine, fill it back up with anti-freeze. Drain the outdrive, make sure the fluid is not milky brown, fill it back up with new fluid. Change oil and filters, plus water seperators.Put new filters on and fresh oil. Change plugs in the spring. I would try to put your fuel stabilizer in about a week before you do this so it get in the whole system. Fog the engine. I use and have been for many years marvel's mystery oil to fog. Does a great job.

Another helpful hint however many seacocks you have (where the water goes out) use a piece of hanger wire to poke through the opening. There might be sediment in there that would prevent all the water from getting out.Then leave that seacock open and I take the gooseneck housing off (where the thermastat is) and add the antifreeze there until I see it come out the bottom seacock/s. Tighten that up and fill it the engine block up. I use the 50/50 cause it is easier. Most outdrives are self draining.One less thing to worry about.

Use something like a wd-40 and spray the engine and the outdrive. You might would to look at your anodes and prop at this time if they need attention. Remember to store your outdrive in the downward position. It is easier on your bellows.

Well J good luck, I hope I have not confused you with all this. This is very easy but can take a weekend up, so just take your time and do a good job to protect your baby.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Commander

Rog pretty much covered all that is needed. I pretty much do the same except with RV Antifreeze. It makes for an easier spring as you just need to drop the boat in and start it up. With the 50/50 you do have to drain and catch it as it is not environmenatlly frielndly

For a generic step by step I always use this:
http://www.mercstuff.com/winterizing.htm

When I do this I always replace the thermostat and gasket (as opposed to gasket only), both drain and fill plug washers on outdrive, outdrive oil, engine oil and filter and fuel filter/water seperator.

Could also be useful to have a spare (or two) exhaust drain plug as they are just plastic wing style plugs that can and will break sometimes. They are also only $3 each so they won't break the bank.
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
Admiral

MC..... that is a great website with lots and lots of info...........and one that has been marked a favorite of mine for years. I have six (I think) of those blue drain plugs that the wings like to break off like you say....I am always replacing one of them a season. Times two engines!

I just don't trust the pink stuff in the engines and yes I do the green thing and recover the 50/50 for another time!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
Commander

I have never had an issue with the pink stuff though I am not as far north as you are
We only get 2 weeks or so of the really cold weather (single digits and maybe just below 0).
I replaced both of my plugs last year and still bought 2 new ones this year just in case. My neighbor had one of his snap off while using the boat. Amazing how much water will flow out that hole while underway
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #6
Lt. JG

So fogging, I'm stuck on this. Some say it's bad for the injectors others are for it? What should I do?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #7
Admiral

fog......then in the spring replace the plugs and the gas will clean out the fogged injectors.....also..if you DON'T want to fog the engine then the easiest thing to do is pull each plug and squirt in a good amount of wd40 into each cylinder and replace with the spark plug....that will essentially do the same thing..

also change the oil out on the engine and drive......
fresh oils will not have the acid and contaminants to do some damage...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #8
Lt. JG

SeaPuppy, I think that's the route I'm going to go. I heard issue of the fogging gumming up the injectors but I guess in the long run that's cheaper to fix rather than replacing the block itself. Thanks to all for the info
Old 10-10-2011, 01:40 AM   #9
Admiral

fogging oil is a light oil...boaters have been fogging engines for a hundred yrs...I think whoever you read about gummed up injectors might be corn-fused about gas varnishing up a carb or injector when the gas isn't treated for storage...ie stabilizer added to the gas.......so...be sure you add stabil to the fuel tank and fill the tank up....change out the oils....and then make sure your boat is well covered or protected and there is no chance of water to get into the engine bay...

it's gonna be a looooong winter...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote