Old 07-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default A/C Seawater Pump

Hello All. So, my seawater pump for the A/C has died. I have found tons of replacements online but wanted to ask a question before purchasing. Can you pump too much water through the system? My OEM pump is the March LC-2CP-MD which pumps 5 GPM with a listed max hose length of 13'. I know that there is more than 13' of hose between the pump and the A/C unit, but on the other hand, this is the pump that was in there from the factory and it worked. Anyway, for not much more money I could change to the March LC-3CP-MD which pumps 8.5 GPM and has a listed hose length of 19'. I wouldn't think there would be any negatives to getting the higher flow, but thought I would ask.

Thanks to everyone,

Cap

capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Admiral

Cap...
that's an interesting question...I know that the heat exchanger needs so much water flow to transfer heat...if you go too slow...you transfer too much heat and the unit freezes up (I know..it sounds stoopid but it freezes the fins up)....too little and it freezes the fins up...unfortunantely this won't help since I don't have the flow rates required to keep the unit operating properly....

so...to answer this...you'd need the min/max flow rates to know what pumps you could use other than the stock unit...also remember that it will shoot further from the hull and might hit the boat next door...which I can tell you...does irritate some boaters......they call it boat pee'ing.....

If it worked with the stock unit...I'd still put a stock unit in to replace the old dead unit....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Thanks SP, your advise helps me be logical. I sometimes have that "Bigger is Better" syndrome!! Although, boat peeing on my neighbor might be worth it!! Our slip neighbors and I are always looking for some way to needle each other. I will stick with what was in there from the factory, I know that works. I also can purchase the wet end assembly for about $50.00, so not too much damage to the wallet either. The motor itself is fine, we ran the pump dry 2 seasons ago and it has had intermittent issues since, now it is simply done.

How is your boat coming along? Hope all is well and I was really happy to see you reply to my question.

Matt
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Admiral

Matt
let me know how it goes when you replace the pump assy.....

the boat is coming along slowly....they have the hull tented and have been grinding the damaged hull and hull paint off...submitted the estimate to the ins. co......drives are off...the transom assy's are apart.....the engines have to come out next and the genny has to come out to remove the fuel tank...

it's coming...just slowly ...WAAAAY too slowly for my tastes...

glad I could help..

Steve
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote