Old 06-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 95 maxum 2400 scr botom pait removal?? back to gel coat

hi i just bought a 95 maxum and want to remove the botom paint just to have the white gel coat ,the botom paint is 2yr old and as the boat is only staying a max of 3 day in the water . I was told to use peelaway 9 it will not damage the gel coat any advice????? as i dont know what the best thing to do is??
thanks ............

fatboy.1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome to the zoo FB....not sure what to do with bottom paint as this is the first boat I've ever had with it on.....so..I'd contact west marine or your local shop to ask advice...but the big question is ....why remove the bottom paint???....it helps protect against any growth even if you do trailer.....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:14 AM   #3
Lt. JG

thanks, i am loclated in australia and the boat will only be used on week ends but not spend more than 3 straight days in the water at a time,
also the paint is starting to chalk up and make the boat look untidy and we all dont like untidy boats ...... thanks
Old 06-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #4

I don't think that removing the paint is going to give you the appearance you're looking for. The Gel coat needs to be roughed up with an aggessive sandpaper (most recommend 80 grit) prior to applying paint. The paint removal process isn't going to be that gentle either. I suspect once you're done remiving it, you're going to want to repaint it anyway.

I suppose you could regelcoat the bottom once you're done stripping it. They do make a white anti-fouling paint.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Hi FB were are you from in Australia (I am in Perth W.A.).The Boys are right the hull will end up looking a little rough after you remove the bottom paint, have a good thought about it first
TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
Lt. JG

hi iam in melbourne , so its just better to leave it or re anti foul it again
looks like i will be doing some anti fouling over the next few weeks
thanks fourm......
Old 06-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Captain

have you red my topic about bottom paint at maintenance, maybe something for you....????

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:52 AM   #8
Ensign

Default I hate bottom paint

Once you put it on, there is no going back. And no going to fresh water lakes around here. I have it on my ocean boat which I now trailer. If left out of the water long enough it will flake off and look really bad. Then you can grind it off. After removing it the gel coat looked awful. I repainted it with flat black LP. Looks like bottom paint but dosn't turn green when left on he trailer. I'd never put it on the Maxum.
Eteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #9

Ditto. I've taken a couple down to fiberglass. The gelcoat underneath is comply hammered both from the preparation prior to putting the bottom pain on nd the process of removing it. Once the bottom pain is removed you'd have to remove a considerable amount of gelcoat through many rounds of sanding to get the botttom back to where it looked good again. You'd have to ncrease the fine-ness of the grit with each successive round of sanding until you got to wet sanding and buffing. I would worry that too much gelcoat would be removed in the process. Exposed fiberglass will ruin a boat in short time. If the bottom paint is in good shape, then I'd leave it or slap another coat on. You may even want to strip it down and barrier coat it, then rebottom paint it again.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote