Old 07-30-2021, 01:37 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 95 Maxum 2000SR

Hello All,
My son's boat with the 4.3 Mercruise V-6 after running out of gas right at ramp is very hard to start.
He ran out of gas after a day on the lake. He pulled up to ramp and shut it off. Backed trailer down ramp and it would not start. He loaded it manually.
He got home called me and I asked him if it was out of gas and low and behold it was. After filling the tank it has been very hard to start and with a low idle when it finally starts.
Looking into throat of the carb 1 nozzle is spraying good stream of fuel at idle the 2nd nozzle only a little dripple. He removed the metering rod on the dripping side and could blow air thru all the ports. My thoughts is that it has to be a clogged passage between the metering rod and the nozzle or a sticking needle and seat for the float on that side.
When the boat is running at it’s low idle about 625/650 it is hard to get it in gear but if you can get it in gear without stalling the boat will run like it should. That is what leads me to believe it is something in the idle circuit. It is of course a Weber 9600s 4bbl carb. Am I on the right track with my think just get a rebuild kit for the carb or maybe clear the passage. I am original owner of the boat so it has been maintained and has never had ethanol gas in tank. Only 50 hours on the boat.

Thank You for any tip and thoughts.

Tim

toolman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
Admiral

Running the tank empty allowed it to suck up gunk. Sounds like you’re on the right track regarding the idle circuit being clogged. How does it behave above idle?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:09 PM   #3
Ensign

Mike,

It run's great above idle. From 5mph to 45mph it runs just fine. It is just getting it started and getting it to stay running when putting it in gear. I know I had put a new fuel filter on it and the one that was on the boat was less than 30 gallons ran thru that 1. There was no trash or water in the filter that came off. I am thinking there may have been a little something in the float bowl that got in idle circuit when running out of gas.

I been trying to locate a cutaway view of the Weber 9600 to see if I could see all the orifice tubes for the carb. but especially the idle circuit. Have not found one yet. The boat ran great last year and up until he ran it out of gas. Told him from now on fill it after each day on lake.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:29 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman60 View Post
Mike,

It run's great above idle. From 5mph to 45mph it runs just fine. It is just getting it started and getting it to stay running when putting it in gear. I know I had put a new fuel filter on it and the one that was on the boat was less than 30 gallons ran thru that 1. There was no trash or water in the filter that came off. I am thinking there may have been a little something in the float bowl that got in idle circuit when running out of gas.

I been trying to locate a cutaway view of the Weber 9600 to see if I could see all the orifice tubes for the carb. but especially the idle circuit. Have not found one yet. The boat ran great last year and up until he ran it out of gas. Told him from now on fill it after each day on lake.

Under Documents of this site you’ll find the Mercruiser manual for your engine which has some carburetor details in it.

Mike
Old 09-20-2021, 01:11 PM   #5
Ensign

Rebuilt the carb. Found a little trash in one of the bowls.
Running great now.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:39 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman60 View Post
Rebuilt the carb. Found a little trash in one of the bowls.
Running great now.
Glad you were able to resolve the issue.

Mike