Old 06-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 5w 30 Car Oil?!

Hello. I just bought a new boat on friday with a 190HP 4.3L. Took it to the lake today and checked the oil before running. It was a quart low so I dropped a quart of 5w30 car oil in it thinking nothing of it since it is a chevy motor.

After thinking about it I thought maybe that was a bad idea. Im going to be running the boat tomorrow and dont want to mess it up. Is it ok with a quart of 5W30 car oil in it or should I completely change the oil and start over. Id hate to ruin the engine right off the bat! Help would be appreciated!

Corrie

maczilla23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczilla23 View Post
Hello. I just bought a new boat on friday with a 190HP 4.3L. Took it to the lake today and checked the oil before running. It was a quart low so I dropped a quart of 5w30 car oil in it thinking nothing of it since it is a chevy motor.

After thinking about it I thought maybe that was a bad idea. Im going to be running the boat tomorrow and dont want to mess it up. Is it ok with a quart of 5W30 car oil in it or should I completely change the oil and start over. Id hate to ruin the engine right off the bat! Help would be appreciated!

Corrie
The 5w30 oil will be ok, but not optimal. What year boat? What viscosity does your manual call for?
You can safely run the engine but you should change the oil when convenient to the recommended viscosity.

paulswagelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
Admiral

In my opinion thereal issue is mixing oil weights. was the oil in the engine 5w30? I would recommend changing it to ensure it's all the same.

BTY I alo recommend a marine oil which has extra additives for the marine enviroment (higher constant RPMs, ...)

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
Admiral

One quart won't hurt anything but.....read your manual what weight does it say ? Then use it. Mercury oil is not that more than what you put in your car cost wise. Walmart even sells it now....

What did the previous owner use? You should know the answer to that question. You just made an huge investment take care of it wisely and by all means have fun!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:39 AM   #5
Lt. JG

Thanks guys! I had fun on it today. Great fun! Its a 05 Maxum 1800 SR3. I didnt know walmart had mercury oil there? Ill have to pick some up from there! Thanks again.

Corrie
maczilla23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
Admiral

They have the quicksilver brand which is just the same............
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #7

All Mercruiser oil is 25-40 to my knowledge. Mixing oil weghts changes the oil weight to my knowledge. Adding a single quart probably won't change it a whole lot. I'd suggest a review of the manual and specs before doing your own work on the boat.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
Admiral

Most engines hold 5 qts so if one is mismatched that's 1/5 or 20%, so a bigger impact than you might think. Now it is still motor oil and shouldn't cause engine failure but for the cost of an oil change to make things right is a lot cheaper than a $5K engine replacement

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #9

Ah yes, i didn't consider the difference in capacity changing the ratio.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote