Old 09-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 42 MAXUM starter change

I have an 42 Maxum SCR with the Cummings engines and was wondering if anybody have changed a starter on the port side.

The boat will start but every know and then it wont start. I have brand new batteries and have had them load tested and comes back good at 13.8.

Grahams29731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

When you say won't start I'm assuming you mean won't turn over since you are looking to replace the starter, correct?

I don't know anything about your engine but a common issue on gas engines is a bad slave solenoid that is in the wiring harness to provide power to the starter. In this case the solenoid still closes but the contacts are pitted and cause a voltage drop so the starter doesn't get full power.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for the reply Mike.

If I go to the boat and turned the key it mite start but not every time. Sometimes it clicks and sometimes nothing. Like there is a bad spot in the starter. The starter is in a blind spot and hard to see. I can reach and feel the wire are tight and they are not corroded. Battery terminal are clean.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #4

That sounds like a starter solenoid. What you would here is the gate inside the solenoid slamming shut when power is applied. That would make a single 'click' noise. It shoudl close the starting circuit between the battery and the starter. However, if the contact in the solenoid is bad, the circuit won't close properly and the starter gets no power.

That is a common problem. If it's the solenoid, you should be able to turn the key or switch on and off a bunch of times and the solenoid should eventually complete the circuit.

If it's the starter, then a few raps of the handle of a screwdriver should get that moving as well. I would pursue solenoid first.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
Ensign

Okay I will pull the starter of course it is the one you can not reach. Yeah.