Old 05-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Captain

Default 2800scr I/O bilge water level

should the rear of the boat with an I/O always have a few inchs of water in the bigle?

I understand that most of that water is run off from the deck, and cockpit scuppers, and i do have an automatic bilge, but i was wondering if a new boat is dry?

or dose the i/o push some water into the rear bilge?

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #2

Mine has a few inches of water. The engine hatches have channels that are supposed to collect water and drain them overboard. They don't work as well as I'd like. The bilge pump is most likely mounted in the forward part of the bilge, which is several inches above the lowest point, so the bilge pump never really drains the bilge completely. It's a huge PITA.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Admiral

well..as long as it's just rain..no problem..but you need to be able to get it out ....if your leaking water into the engine tank....aka engine bay...from the outdrive...then the bellows is probably leaking someplace and needs a tech to pull the drive and inspect the bellows.....

just as a side note...your engine bay under the oil pan should be as dry as possible to keep the oil pan from rusting out...if your in salt water...it will rust faster...

Sp
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Commander

I spray under the motor with a protective spray (oil) lasts forever parts will not rust .I will look on the boat for the name today .It was developed to cover machinery for ocean shipping sold by napa I use it on my motorcycles as well.So I worry less about bilge water and rust
cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
Commander

Cool water

I use fluid film spray all around oil pan starter motor any place I want to protect from rusting works great keep off any place you walk very slick.good luck
cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:55 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

Yes, it's normal. The bilge pump will kick in if it gets too high but will never remove all of the water......
Capt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
Captain

the not normal part.......

my used boat had the bilge wired wrong. the manual pump switch worked, but the automatic did not.

so, the ground wire we backward, and the pump would not run, and then when it did, it would not shut off.

guess, who had a dead battery this weekend?

i can tell when the battery is dieing becasue the carbonmonidix dector start churping low power.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
Ensign

After 3 years of dealing with water in the bilge i think i found it in 2007 the merc crusier with 5.0 had installed the gen 111 fuel/water sep in a box that has 2 hoses both under 300psi while in the engine compartment i noticed that not only were these 2 hoses not clamped but the the lower one was leaking the tell tale sign was rust from below,,,it seems that salt water calcifies and pushes the hose out even further so your first sign will be salt water calcifaction around the hose,on alerting my mech he told me that mercs solution to the problem is screw in nipples as well as clamped hoses....duh if you are under warranty this came out in one of there hidden bullentins and were advised not to replace untill leaks just f.y.i in case anyone else has the problem....Capt Larry....Hot Scott

helpmelm is offline   Reply With Quote