Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 1996 2400 SCR \ Waste system question

Recently purchased a 1996 Maxum 2400 SCR and have noticed that on occasion I seem to be getting waste in the forward bilge compartment. The shower drain also seems a bit questionable as to whether it is draining properly. As most of these lines are not visible, I am looking for suggestions on how to inspect these items and make repairs.
This is a marine head system. I wa reading a few other threads and found one that indicated "the (red) switch in the head is for the drain pump...is that correct ? This is not water supply for the sink an shower ? Unfortunately the manuals tell you little about these systems.

Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:26 AM   #2
Admiral

the red switch in the head should be for the shower sump if I remember correctly.....bout the only way to find out if the hoses are bad is to pull the toilet apart and replace it with a new one from the engine bay....not a nice job at all...check all the fittings at the tank and the toilet.....also for fresh water ..there should be a switch in the galley that turns that on...

welcome to the zoo

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
Lt. JG

hi i had this same problem this week i pulled out the fridge tested all the pipes,and still could not find any leaks my floor filled up to the carpet and i couldnt find and holes in the hull But i found it after 6hrs of mucking around it was my step drain
as you step down into the cab there is a drain it was leaking when i washed the deck
and leaked into the aft cab and then ran down behind the step into the foward bilge
there is a boat on ebay that has the same problem that has pics it looks bad i dont know this might be a common fault??

here is the link hope it helps you .......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...rQ5fMotorboats
fatboy.1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Ensign

Thanks SP. If it is in fact waste, it is coming from the holding tank as we had not used the head.
To clarify your comment, you believe the red switch in the head, pumps the drain on the floor for the shower (not the sink, and nothing to do with the head) ?
And the other red switch in the galley is the water pump for fresh water supply to all the sinks and showers (aft and forward).

Doug C
Old 08-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks. I will check that area as well.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

That ebay boat... "mint". Holy cow that was fun. I understand it's a donor craft, but people throw that term around way too often. That bilge looks like it was in a fire, then submerged to put it out.

Doug - our 2005 is switched as Seapuppy states. Both red lit rockers, one next to the galley sink is for the freshwater pump, the one in the bathroom operates the bath floor drain... and ours is LOUD.

Remember, even if you haven't used the toilet, if there's any black water in the holding tank, there's likely some sitting in the lines between there and the head.

Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
Ensign

Thanks for all the information. I at least now have a better idea of where to start looking for the problem.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:47 AM   #8
Commander

That boat is about as mint as my holding tank. Jeesh!
rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Although we just sold our '99 2400SCR, we routinely had drenched carpet in the galley that we had to shop vac dry. We inspected all hoses for leaks but found none running from the engine bay nor behind the fridge that we removed. The water on the cabin floor was salt water. What we finally determined was that the aft bilge, being connected to the fore bilge and water running underneath the channel below the floorboards, was drenching the galley floor if the aft bilge level was too high.

I moved the aft bilge pump forward (from the default factory spot) which got it another 2" lower and would remove so much more water, that it solved the problem and we never had drenched galley floor again.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
Lt. JG

today i was doing a big clean in the head and filled the base with water and to my supprise water started leaking out from the join at the bottom of the door
and on to the carpert and down into the foward bilge
so also look there the corking has a small cracks
hope this helps as well

fatboy.1234 is offline   Reply With Quote