Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 1800 SR trim problems

I bought my 1993 Maxum 1800 SR last year. The trim was working intermittently and after searching on Youtube I decided to replace the solenoid. It worked for a while but I seemed to have intermittent issues. Clearly I have a short memory because I didn't fix it over the winter, but decided to take the boat out this year. After a few hours on the water with trim working fine, I trailered the boat but the trailer button wasn't working. I ended up taking off the skeg guard and prop for the 3 miles home. The trailer button, up and down trim buttons didnt work - just clicked when I pushed them which I how I know there is power to the motor. I again watched a youtube video and decided to open up the trim limit switch on the back of the transom (left side of engine mount), popped out the insert and cleaned the metal connectors. It was full of grease, grime and crud. I assume this was the problem, but will report back if I have further issues.

I though it would be helpful to post this information for anyone experiencing trim issues.

geocola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:53 PM   #2
Admiral

The trim limit switch is only in the up circuit and will have no impact trimming down. Just because you hear a click doesn’t mean 12Vs is getting to the motor as the contacts can get resistive. Try jumping 12V to the motor blue wire to see if it trims up then the motor green wire to see if it trims down. If so the soleniods are bad.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #3

Sometimes to temporarily work around the problem (such as when you're out on the water or at the ramp) whack the button 30-40 times as fast as you can. Sometimes you can knock of enough corrosion to get a good contact on the solenoid internals.

The other option to take an insulated tool (screwdriver) and 'jump' the posts on the exterior of the solenoid. The will get the drive to raise.

Incidentally, the Trim Limit switch is only on the trim Out circuit. The Trailer circuit bypasses the trim limit switch.

You simply need to replace the solenoids.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer buttor, trim