Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default What size Stainless Steel prop for Maxum 2300sc with 5.7L MCM 260hp and Alpha1 Gen 2

I have just bought my Maxum 2300SC... it has 3-blade Quicksilver aluminium prop and only hits 3,800 at wide open throttle... speed is also down... I've been told that the right stainless steel prop will improve both... anyone out there got this set up and can recommend what s/s prop I should go for?

Thanks in advance,
Simon

SimonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
Admiral

The correct size aluminium or stainless prop will help. The size is the current prop? The WOT should be ~ 4800rpm, 1 inch of pitch change will give about 200 rpm change. Going from aluminium to stainless will require a drop of one pitch size to get equal performance.

Mike
mmwjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Many thanks for the light-speed response, Mike... I think the existing prop is 14.5 x 19 (3 blades)... sorry for sounding so dim, but does that mean I need to go to 15 x 19 or 13 x 19 if I stick with aluminium and get 1,000rpm more?

Thx
Simon
Old 06-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Simon, the first number is the diameter of the prop and the 2nd is the pitch. Changing the pitch down in size will increase the rpm's in increments of 200. What year is your boat? I was looking through the manuals http://www.maxumcustomercare.com/ trying to figure out what the original prop size was for your boat. Your rpms seem to be way low and going down 5 inches in prop size isn't the answer. If you have the Alpha with the 1.47 gear ratio the factory prop was probably near 15x17 but you would have to check the manuals to see what the factory size was. Depending on how much weight you have in your boat you may even have to go lower. Has the boat been tuned up recently?

What is your top speed (using GPS), your RPM, and your weight load in people and gear? Start trimmed down and go WOT until your at top speed (verified with a gps) then trim up in small increments. You will be able to see your speed go up as you do this. When your speed stops increasing then trim back down a little bit and record the rpm's and your top speed. The more information you have the better chance of choosing a propeller that will work for you. Once you know these numbers you can call a shop like Michigan Wheel or use Mercury Prop calculator and figure out a prop size. SS props are expensive and there are shops out there like www.bblades.com that will let you use loaner props so that you can find the perfect prop for your uses.
brian0128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Hi Brian,

My apologies for not including the year, the boat is 2001... I checked online and there doesn't appear to be a manual for 2001 2300sc :-(... that said, the previous owner did give me a lot of documentation inc manuals for the engine, outdrive and the "Owners Manual" itself (which seems to talk more about how to drive a boat than anything else)... I'm not sure if you can help any more simply with the model year?... WOT 3800 was with the leg fully trimmed down, but we didn't record the speed (it was measured during the sea trial when I bought the boat in March)... I will try and get some more accurate data for you next time I'm out...

Thanks for all the help... I must say I like the idea of loaner props... but need a start point.

Thx
Simon

, so
Old 06-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
Lieutenant

If you are going to invest in a SS prop then the loaner program is the way to go. With that model year and an alpha drive you most likely had the 1.47 drive ratio. If that was the case then a 15x17 would give you a good starting point because that prop was used with the bigger 2400 in earlier years with the 1.47 drive. Weight also plays a big factor. I would get as much info as possible and call in to www.bblades.com or Hill Marine or many other reputable prop companies and they will get you pointed in the right direction. The loaner program is definately worth it. Don't do what I did and buy 2 aluminum props and 2 stainless props all to get it figured out. Go with the loaner program and get your prop dialed in correctly.

Here is the link to their prop set up form. http://bblades.com/testing-forms/bblade-form.pdf Most companies will ask similar information to get you dialed in properly. You can look up how to calculate your gear ratio on the internet if there isn't a sticker or a stamp on your out drive.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
Lieutenant

http://www.mercurymarine.com/propellers/prop-selector/

http://bblades.com/propeller-slip-calculator/

http://www.mercuryracing.com/propell...calculator.php

Here are the links to some prop and slip calculators.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
Admiral

Looks like brian has got you covered, good luck

Mike
mmwjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Thanks Mike and Brian... I always knew it would be an iterative process, but at least I now have a good start point and some direction as to where to take it?

Many thanks,
Simon
Old 07-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
Hi Brian,

WOT 3800 was with the leg fully trimmed down, but we didn't record the speed )...
Speed is irrelevant. You would need to trim the drive out as far as possible without ventilating. Get up to WOT speed, then trimthe drive out until it ventilates, the trim back in until it stops. NOW record your Mx RPM.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #11
Lt. JG

Thanks... I have some playing to do, clearly... may take some time (need this damn wind to die down!), but I will post my results once I have them.

Thanks all.