Old 11-22-2012, 05:13 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Unused

Due to various reasons my 2005 maxum1800 has sat idle for 3 years
Recently took out sparks spray oil and left for 10 days turned crank via alternator etc no problems
Checked sump oil and oil milky ?
Haven't tried moving stern drive yet.
Appreciate any help
Cheers

Seasalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Commander

Salt, Welcome to the Forum. Milky oil is concerning, since it means there is water in the crank case. Now the big question is where did it come from? Here are some possibilities, ranging from most to lease serious)

- If you are in a cold climate, there is concerns that winterization was not done properly and you may have a cracked block/head/or blown headgasket.
-Your exhaust risers may be bad and water got into the cylinders and leaked down into the crankcase.
-Swings in temperature can cause condensation to form on the walls of the crank case and when you turned it over it mixed and got the oil milky. This is why you are recommended to change the oil in an engine every 6 months regardless of miles or hours.

So for you to get all the help you need, we need some more info. What engine, do you live in a cold climate, was the boat properly kept out of the weather while idle?

I would start with draining and refilling the oil then once the engine is running, keep a close eye on the oil and see if it turns milky again.

Keep us posted.
-JP

CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Commander

Thanks Robin. The great atmosphere here kind of makes us a big family and is thanks to the recently passes founder SeaPuppy. Hope you keep coming back and contribute some yourself.

-JP
Old 12-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #4

Fairwinds Seapuppy.........but actually JHabers is the founder of the site. Like me, Seapuppy just volunteered time here moderating the site. Unlike me, he contributed on a level like none I've ever seen.

As for the water in oil.....Do you know if it was like that when you laid it up 3 years ago? Or is this the result of running engine on the muffs recently?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Commander

Sorry shrew, I didn't mean to take away from JHabers. Thanks for straightening me out! As always we appreciate the great work of our moderators.

-JP