Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
Ensign

Unhappy Troubleshooting Engine Dying

So took the Miller Time out today, put in a new Optima she fired up great the first time so happy times.

Out on the lake the boat did fine for a while then decided to take some people out, then the boat would just die at random throttle levels. Sometimes at idle sometimes at open throttle never any kind of pattern. Every time it would start up with a little help with the throttle and just giving it that right touch of gas.

So here is what I know is wrong with the boat, PS is not responding every well. Ive looked into this before but figured it wouldn't be a big issue as I would use the boat very rarely this summer. Second possible issue, when putting the boat in the trim was left down and the boat slipped off the launch and a loud sound followed. It could have been the trailer it could have been the trim no way to tell while its in the water.

Both need to be addressed just wondering if either of these items could cause the boat to die the it was today, in total it was about 6 times and this was her first run this season.

Im pretty handy and ive learned how to fix issues with my car in the past with the help of forum guys but debating on weather or not I should just pull the boat and take it to a shop? Thoughts? Boat is in the sig thanks

Old 08-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
Ensign

Check that my sig has not been updated, I got a 2007 Maxum 17' SR

Old 08-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
Ensign

Bump.

I got a freshwater exchange filter and Im gonna pull the cap off and see if its corroded and let it dry out, people are telling me it could just be water in the fuel tank/carb but I would love some other feedback thanks!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:59 AM   #4
Commander

Howlong, I would love to help, but I am extremely confused by your post. What boat and motor are you looking for help with? You say it's a 1700 SR, but is it an outboard, or mercruiser? Even without that info, I would first say check your tank vent, it may be clogged and starving the motor for fuel.

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
Admiral

And change that boats name ... talk a bout a cop magnet
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote