Old 07-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default The day started out good...

So after dealing with what I thought was a bad tank of gas (E-10, found out the hard way, rebuilt the carb drained the tank) the ol' 5.7 seemed to be running good again. It rain great in the drive with the muffs on, and ran pretty good on the lake today. After some swimming it was time to head back and it was real hard to start. Turned over fine but just didnt want to fire. Finally got it going and ran good back to the bridge where we had to slow to go under (no wake zone) and it was running rough at idle again. Ran back up on plane but could tell something was amiss and it lost all power and wouldn't rev anymore, had some popping on the exhaust side. Had to idle back to the dock, when I could keep it running, anything more than that and it wouldn't run at all. Oil pressure was good, temp was good (hopefully the gauge is working right), no alarms going off. I wonder if I still have some residual water in the tank causing the problem, I couldn't completely get the tank empty, but got most of it out. I added some Startron Enzyme treatment that is supposed to prevent and cure E-10 problems before I filled up last time. I am going to check the timing, plugs, and make sure it is pulling water from the muffs tomorrow. I hope it is something simple, I really enjoy this boat.

Watered down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Ensign

I had this problem as well and was told that if some water gets into the carb it can cause trouble. However, if you just rebuilt the carb, this shouldn't be a problem.

A fresh tank of gas and some time to run it through the system should help. Also, your plugs or your fuel filter may have gotten a bit gummed up and might need to be replaced. I believe that even if you have a water separating fuel filter that there is still a strainer filter at the carb that sometimes goes overlooked.

I did some tweaking on the fuel mixture screw and that seemed to help matters quite a bit on mine. It seems that various conditions and changes to your engine over time can force you to recalibrate the mixture. Also, those screws are surprisingly easy to turn so it is possible that vibrations could have messed with it.

My boat still isnt running perfectly but is much better than it was. Might help a bit!

dizzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Well I discovered one problem, I had quite a whistle, which I recognized as a vacuum leak immediately. My carb to intake gasket was not sealing. My rebuild kit did not come with a new one, and I made the mistake of trying to re-use the old one. I also believe I still have a water in the gas problem, so I am hoping between those two things it clears it up. It didn't start running bad until the tank got lower on fuel, so I am keeping my fingers crossed on that! I had changed the fuel/water separator last year so maybe I also need to change it again. I had pulled all the plugs before I ran it this year and they looked good.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Admiral

one thing to get for the tank is this stuff called HEET (I think that's the name)...it's a water scavanger and will get the water out and burn it thru the engine....works pretty good...then change the filters and such....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:02 AM   #5
Lt. JG

I looked at HEET in walmart, said it wasn't for use with E-10 (which is all there is around here, dont keep it at a marina), but I did use some Startron stuff that is supposed to cure and prevent E-10 problems. I guess we will see! It was recommended in the Seaworthy magazine.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
Lieutenant

An old trick, Try throwing a litre of mentholated spirits into the tank, it should dilute/atomize the water and allow it to mix/passthrough your carbie
TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #7
Lt. JG

Mentholated spirits? sounds like quite drink! I will have to look in to that, thanks.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Try puting a little bit of water then fuel in a container then add a little Mentholated spirits and see what it does if you like the resalts then have a drink on me ( dont forget the olive !! lol )
TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #9

Startron can be used for water in the tank and is safe for boats and designed for use with e10.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote