Old 09-27-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default starting from the begining

95 4.3 lx carbed 4 barrel ok I am gonna try to start from the begining all the events that led up to now. First I had an issue with what I thought was my coil my engine would die and stall and backfire. I replaced the coil because it was leaking the cooling oil out the seam. I found that I had a hose leaking water and spraying water right on to the dist and causing the spark to jump and track all over. fixed the leaking hose. worked good then a new issue started up a few weeks later. The engine would run perfect for about 30 mins then anything after half throttle to wot the engine would hesitate and loose power If i shut down for a while and start up it would run fine for a bit then again do the same thing I checked the entire fuel system thinking it was starving for fuel rebuilt the carb checked all fuel lines (it was also hard to start always has been) when trying to figure out what it was I got tired of a bad battery and got a new one took it out to the lake to test more and it stoped doing it atleast for the short while i ran it. while out on the lake after the new battery it seemed not to do it but my engine seemed to run out of fuel died and wouldnt start up paddled back and put fuel in the boat. It would not start. this is what led me up to replace the dist cap the rotor spark plug wires and spark plugs. motor still wouldnt start. This is where I accidently moved the dist when I was checking time to see if it was good timing was at 8 degrees but I accidently moved it out of time. I was still not getting enough spark. somone told me to jump the coil to the battery and this is where i got the motor to start up wouldnt run good at all no matter where i adjusted the dist cap to. then I lost fuel my pump stoped working or getting power. this is where I figured out my oil pressure switch was not working. I replaced the oil pressure switch and motor started up without the jumper to the coil. but still run horrible no matter what the timing was set to. wouldnt start when set to 8 degrees. but increase it so the timing mark is further left when the timing light lights up it started. ran horrible but started now this is where I am now trying to figure out why i cant get the motor to run at 8 degrees when I have never pulled the dist off the gear. prior to any of this the motor ran great 55 mph across the water. so maybe this will help everyone understand my issue I could be mistaken but i am pritty sure that when number one is at tdc on comression that the rotor is pointing to number one on the dist cap going to recheck tomorrow

ussoldier_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Ok got boat back from mercuiser mechanic they said the altinator was bad causing the motor to have really week spark?? what the heck? is that possible?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:24 AM   #3
Admiral

I guess it is...not usual..but possible...thanks for the report out..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
Commander

Cool engine

If the battery was charged you would think the alternator would not play a role???? like that
cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunuck View Post
If the battery was charged you would think the alternator would not play a role???? like that
thats what I was thinking. I dont know though. I am gonna try to find an alternator asap and let you know if it really does fix it. I couldnt afford the 200 dollars the dealer wants for a new alternator lol
Old 09-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

The alt's sole purpose in life is to charge the battery. Also, at cranking RPM the alt puts out no, or nearly no, current. In fact, you could completely disconnect the alt and the engine would still start and run. That being the case, the Alt has nothing to do with the engine starting - or not starting, unless it is not keeping the battery(s) charged enough to turn the engine over.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Yes, to what SS said.
I had an alternator go in my old truck. The engine ran fine, but all my lights and radio faded out to nothing.

I would say check, and probably replace your fuel lines. It sounds like there may be a clog, kink, or the lines might be collapsing on themselves when you get into the upper end on your throttle. The more fuel your asking the engine for, requires more fuel to pass though those lines. It sounds like its not getting all the fuel it needs. Which could also be a fuel pump. I'd check the fuel filter too.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
Lieutenant

well irrigardless im gonna have to replace the alternator its bad but beleive me I will be going over everything again if it acts up after I put the new alt in. as to the fuel system. its good its all brand new fuel lines and filters and water seperator.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #9
Lieutenant

ok with the alternator disconnected the engine runs great I was able to get it in time at 8 degrees before top dead center
Old 10-02-2010, 12:37 AM   #10
Lieutenant

still had an issue with poping back turns out that the alternator took out the ignition optic sensor in the distributer cap. not sure if that was the right name but replaced it now boat is running top notch 55mph
Old 10-02-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
Admiral

cool.....thanks for report out!!.....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 10-06-2010, 11:01 PM   #12
Lieutenant

flippin a somthing died in the ignition system agian boat will not run. I am not sure if its the coil or ignition sensor again. I did the test with the red white wire and i had 12 volts then with the ignition on i tapped the green white wire from the dist on a ground and using a spark tester on the coil wire got no spark. does this mean I have a bad coil?
Old 10-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #13
Admiral

check the kill switch too....but it's pretty positive that your coil died..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 10-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #14
Lieutenant

why would a one day old coil go bad though?