Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2020, 10:56 PM   #1
Ensign

Default starter solenoid

I have a 1997 maxum 2700scr. Couple weeks ago I would go to start it and it was just click once. Turned ignition off then on again same thing. This happened 3 times and it started. Went out last weekend and both batteries were dead something drained them. Tried charging still wouldn't start. So today I bought new batteries 27dcm and installed them. The boat started right up. I could hear kinda a weird noise and I noticed a weird burning smell. Then I started to see smoke so I shut the motor off immediately and looked where the smoke was coming from and the soleniod was on fire.( very small like a leaf or something caught on fire. The wires were not burnt through. Has anyone had this happen to them? What would cause that to turn on fire? The only thing i could think of one of them is bad causing the solenoid to heat up ( planned on replacing them anyways). I just dont want to replace and have the same thing happen. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Maxumcruiser23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:34 AM   #2
Admiral

Is this the slave soleniod on the engine or the starter solenoid that’s on the starter? Can’t say I ever heard of one smoking. Once started the soleniod should open so no current should be flowing through it. Could the noise have been the starter staying engaged? If so you need to verify the ignition switch is not shorted else the soleniod may have gotten stuck in the closed position.

Mike
mmwjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:52 AM   #3
Ensign

It was coming from where the starter is right under the soleniod. The noise was more of a humming sound maybe ( hard to explain it) how do I verify if my ignition switch is not shorted out
Old 07-29-2020, 02:20 AM   #4
Ensign

I dont think the starter was still engaged at all it wasn't a metal on metal sound. There also sounded like a pop noise after I smelt the burning and sounded like the engine was gonna die but kept running. And thats when I noticed the smoke
Old 07-29-2020, 11:16 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxumcruiser23 View Post
It was coming from where the starter is right under the soleniod. The noise was more of a humming sound maybe ( hard to explain it) how do I verify if my ignition switch is not shorted out
With the key in the run position it should only have 12Vs on the B and I terminals and no power on the S terminal.

Mike
Old 07-29-2020, 11:17 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxumcruiser23 View Post
I dont think the starter was still engaged at all it wasn't a metal on metal sound. There also sounded like a pop noise after I smelt the burning and sounded like the engine was gonna die but kept running. And thats when I noticed the smoke
If the starter was stuck it would make a whining sounds and pop could be it disengaging.

Mike