Old 05-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Shift cable bellow- boat leak!

Over the weekend, the bilge filled up with water pretty fast, had to run the pump and get boat out of the water quickly. Once I drained the water out, put it back in the water to locate the source of the leak- it was about the diameter of a dime of water coming into the bilge. Pulled the boat out and saw the rubber bellow that covers the shift cable was broken, I went ahead and tied a rope to clamp down the bellow, put it back into the water and there was no leak.

Has this happened to someone else before? I was surprised to see how much water came into the bilge when there was a cracked bellow. This is my first inboard motor boat. Went ahead and ordered the new bellow, will have to disconnect the shift cable, pull it out, put the new bellow on and put the cable back.

Also- steering on the 97 maxum 1700 sr is a bit stiff, everything I have read said to replace steering cable or flush out the cable tubing (which seems to be a pain in the butt). The steering squeaks right in the steering column, anything I should try first before going ahead and getting new steering cable? Thanks for any help!

coueselk2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
Admiral

How does the drive shaft bellows look? If you don't know how old they are replace all of them now. The driveshaft bellows will result in even more damage if leaking.

If squeaking at the helm try lubing it from under the helm to access but the cable is probably bad as well.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
Ensign

Drive shaft bellow looks great, when I push down on it I do not see any cracks. For some reason the shift cable bellow was cracked up- must be a lemon bellow. I also noticed that the bellow seemed a bit short so anytime the tilt was used the bellow would really stretch out more than the driveshaft bellow. Perhaps previous owner didn't assemble the right bellow for this type alpha 1 out drive.
coueselk2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
Admiral

I would replace them all while you are in there. Also a new steering cable should fix that issue.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
Admiral

I'm not sure you will be able to fish the shift cable out without removing the bell housing which means disconnecting the driveshaft bellows. If the bell housing come off I'd replace all the bellows after doing all the labor that way you know where you stand with them. You may want to replace the gimbal bearing and lower shift cable as these are all wear items and again you would be doing the labor part anyway.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
Captain

I used an aftermarket shift bellow last year and the cheap hose clamps rotted away and caused me a small leak. Keep it OEM below the waterline!

speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote