Old 11-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Repowering with a Volvo Penta

Hi,

I would appreciate your thoughts on this. I purchased a 1995 2300SC a few months back which was in need of a new engine -it had a Mercruiser 5.7 originally fitted. Now I have just been offered a complete repower package from a friend (who is fitting a Diesel). He has owned his boat from new (Monteray 265) and it has been well looked after. The engine has just had a main dealer rebuild, its a 2005 8.1 Gi (375HP) with Duoprop leg, instruments and full wiring loom and will come with a 2 year main dealer warranty. I can get the full package much more cheaply then a rebuilt Merc 5.7 will cost me plus I really like the idea of all that power.

So my questions are as follows:

a) will the 2300SC handle the power? - I believe that the 2300SC was available with a Merc 375HP
b) will the engine fit in the bay? - I think it will, just looking for assurances
c) will the transom need extensive mods to handle the VP outdrive? - I think the VP transom shield needs a bigger hole (unsure about this)
d) has anyone else fitted a Volvo to their Maxum?

I should point out that I am in Ireland and V8's are like hens teeth, I have been looking for months and the prices are nuts. The fact that the Volvo will have warranty and is practically new makes it a great deal on paper but .....

Thanks in advance
YB

Yawlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #2

You would need the entire package, including the transom assembly. My concern is whether the hole in the transom is cut correct and whether the holes are drilled the same to accept a Volvo transom assmbly. You may be looking at some fiberglass and transom work to make it fit. You'd need to remount the engine mounts as well, which would include filling and sealing the holes in the stringers where the old mounts were mounted.

As far as size, I don't recall the 2300 coming with a big block. that is going to be very, very tight and in my humble opinion, more than likely overpowered for the boat with a sizable increase in weight. That weight will be all in the back end. I'm not sure whether this is feasible, or even cheaper in the long run.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Captain

better to buy a new boat, then reconfigure your existing.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Admiral

I had a '97 2300 SC with a 7.4L Merc in it. Not sure how much larger an 8.1 is but the 7.4L fit nicely.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #5

The Merc 7.4. 8.1 and 8.2 are all the same block and footprint. I'm not that familiar with Volvo. If they're using a Chevy Block, then my only concern would be whether the transom assembly will work properly.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Ensign

thanks for the feedback, I have checked the measurements and the engine will fit. I am being offered the complete kit and as I said the cost is very right. Petrol here is over $8 a US Gallon so there is very little demand for big V8's and very few second hand ones are available.

The boat is undergoing a complete restoration anyway as she was trailer sunk (three years outdoors with the bung in) and the engine mounts were removed with the mercruiser.

If I go ahead with it I'll let you know.

thanks again
YB
Yawlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Volvo Penta does use GM blocks, but they use their own bolt-ons; raw water pump, exhaust systems, cooling hose configuration, etc. Because the mount points on the 5.7 and 8.1 are in the same physical location on the blocks you might be able to use the mounts from the 5.7. I believe that VP mounts the raw water pump on the front of the engine - driven off the crankshaft whereas Merc does not, so you might run afoul of the forward bulk head since the engine bay was sized to accommodate Merc power, not VP. You'd also probably need to get the steering assembly with the VP.

As mentioned, the transom assembly opening is the long pole in this tent.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote