Old 07-19-2019, 03:22 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Quick Silver

I changed my outdrive oil using Quicksilver gear lube before winter hit. I changed it as I always do pumping up from the bottom until it flows out of the vent hole, then I fill the reservoir to the cold line. Everything went as usual.
On the first boat ride this spring, I was alone and able to run it WOT for a bit. When I stopped, I could have smell gear oil so I took a look and found gear oil over flowing out of the reservoir. Has ice at stopped the oil level dropped down to the full / hotline. When I ran again the fluid level would raise and the higher RPMs would make it overflow.
Only use the boat once since then and took it real easy running about half throttle for a while and it overflowed again butt just slightly. Yesterday I dumped all the Drive oil and replaced it with new following the same steps I had done before. Today I took it for a test drive and had the same issue.
I never had this issue before.
The oil that I drained out yesterday was placed in a clear container so I could let it separate to try and spot any water. No water was found.

2000 235 SC, Mercruiser 5.7 Liter, Alpha One

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
20190718_215838.jpg  

spydermann22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:41 AM   #2
Admiral

Vent on reservoir cap may be blocked. The lube does expand when hot and the reservoir cap to suppose to let air out if it gets blocked lube will come out. Replace the cap.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydermann22 View Post
I changed my outdrive oil using Quicksilver gear lube before winter hit. I changed it as I always do pumping up from the bottom until it flows out of the vent hole, then I fill the reservoir to the cold line.
The fill process sounds incorrect.

1) Remove the screws on the fill and vent/inspection portts on the drive.

2) remove the cap on the overflow tank

3) Fill from the fill port (bottom hole) in the drive until it begins to weep out the vent/inspection hole (top hole) on the drive.

4) insert the screw with a new gasket on the vent/inspection port (top hole on the drive)

5) Continue pumping lube from the bottom of the drive until it begins to enter from the BOTTOM of the overflow tank. (Make sure to fill no further than the fill line)

6) put the cap on the overflow tank.

If you only fill to the inspection/vent port on the drive and then backfill from the overflow tank, you have a massive airbubble in the system.

I had often thought about moving the pump from the lower fill hole to the upper hole once the fluid reach the upper hole to avoid the resistance from pushing lube from the bottom once it becomes full.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Talking

Thank you for this, I seriously considered this as the issue but hadn't experienced in the past - I must have been lucky before.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Thanks for the responce, I will double check this