Old 05-01-2008, 01:40 AM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to T.A. Sarles Send a message via Yahoo to T.A. Sarles
Default Question, re: Generators and inverters

OK newby cruiser owner question time!!!! Does the 1994 2400 SCR come with an inverter and on that note if it does, how much of a generator do i need to overcome the charger? I was looking at the possibility of putting a 3k inverter and a 1500 generator to charge the house bank while anchored out. Ideas? :?

Old 05-01-2008, 01:53 AM   #2
Admiral

well..if you decide on the inverter route...your going to have to increase the size of your battery bank...the inverter is going to use that battery up really fast...and in a 24 ft boat..you won't be able to add very many batt's to increase your power storage...
...but a honda 2000 is common use for cruising since they are really quiet......place it on the swim step..secure it down so it won't fall off...connect your shore power cord to it...and your good to go......

hope this helps....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:54 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Welcome to the forum. Tough question to start out with!

1. The 2400 did not come with an inverter. There would only be one on the boat if the previouys owner installed one.

2. As to the question of recharging the house batteries. That's a difficult one to answer. There are many variables to consider, e.g., what appliances and electronics will you be running off the inverter. Things like a coffee pot or toaster oven will pull very large wattage. A microwave over typically pulls 750 to 1000 watts. The inverter would power them, but the batteries would be drained pretty quickly. Rather than run off the inverter, I would run directly off the generator. The house batteries, if in good condition, will keep the lights and and refrigerator running all night. Just be sure to position the battery selector switch to pull power just from the house batteries, so you'll have starting power the next morning. I'd also consider a slightly larger generator. 1.5 kw is very minimal to run AC appliances (except maybe a TV/DVD player).

3. If you put a non-marine generator on, be very cautious of CO fumes (well be cautious even with a marine generator). But non-marine generators don't have the protected circuitry to prevent random sparks, etc that can mix with gas fumes and have disasterous consequences.

Good Luck.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:18 AM   #4
Ensign

i tell you, the only thing i am thinking about is my laptop and maybe a tv, i don't think i need anything else running. i did hear about tying it to the swimstep when in use. thanks guys, i am going to look into this right after i fix my two pet problems, one caused the other so not only do i get to fix the shower faucet which is not connected to the water lines which of course went all over the space behind the fridge, which of course fried the fridge so i am looking at replacing that.......all this before we take it on a 4 day up the rivers in july. i am hoping to have pics of mine posted soon.

thanks
Old 05-01-2008, 02:43 AM   #5
Admiral

dang ta.....your more fun that 12 vdc to the testicls!!!

keep us informed....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 05-02-2008, 12:21 AM   #6
Ensign

oh what fun!!!!! SP, i have one for you.....how do you get a fridge out that is two inches too big to be pulled out the cabin door or the hatch? Well let me tell you I had to take off every dang screw on the outside of the thing and finally i got the fridge out. I am going to have to replace the shower and its mixer so that should not be a problem, i ordered that and i ordered a new fridge that should be in in about a week. I went a bit smaller so that i could get the darn thing in, and I also ordered a small drawer fridge that will take care of my bar needs.....so maybe in a week or two I will be ready to really enjoy my "new" toy!!! so i am looking forward to that.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:07 AM   #7
Admiral

I was gonna say take every thing on the box off.....

sounds like the plan is coming together...where did you order from??..

SP...
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 05-03-2008, 01:33 AM   #8
Ensign

SP, got the fridges from West Marine (they are both Waecos) and the faucets from defender.com (they are Shurflos). So this weekend it is dry ice and coolers but that is ok, here i sit, with our dockmates grilling out drinking beer and talking about where to go in the morning. (It is storming like he11 at the moment so none of us have moved all afternoon since we got here, but tomorrow we set out for a bit of good natured gags against a "rival" group who are all gathered to watch a horse race tomorrow on their pier????? OK buy a boat to watch TV on a dock???? Not like the KY Derby is not broadcast Nationwide But i digress, we are hitting the water tomorrow so I am happy.