Old 06-13-2014, 02:15 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Purchasing a SCR 2400 Outdrive corrosion questions.

Hello all,

I'm upgrading from a 19ft jet boat into a cruiser. Sitting out in the sun and riding the water at 60 mph wasn't really my thing. So after a few years of debating I am finally going to bite the bullet on my first Maxum. I'm really in love with the SCR models and I hope to own a larger SCR one day but the 2400 will have to suffice for now. I've been out to see this boat at least three times and I've only found cosmetic issues. I'm planning on taking it for a sea trail next week to make sure their are no leaks anywhere and look over a few more things.

I've overlooked the boat in and out, and it appears to be in immaculate condition except for the outdrive.

I notice that the outdrive if fairly corroded and I was wondering if you guys can help tell me how bad it is. I don't mind replacing it since i hear its really not that hard. But if I need to replace it, I'll have to give him a lower offer.

Let me know what you guys can see and if you need any other type of information. The fluid and engine oil was replaced last fall and appears to be very clean. Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(2).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	3394Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(3).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	3395Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(4).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	3396Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(5).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	3397Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(6).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	3398

The boat is a 1994 Maxum SCR with the 5.7 260 HP Alpha 1 outdrive.

EDIT: The pictures won't rotate on this forum

Flightfollowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard.

Try moving the drive side to side, if you can the swivel shaft is probably worn. How are the bellows? The lower unit looks bad, the SS prop seems to have reacted with the flange on the bullet. It may last a year or 2 but I suspect it will blow. Zincs on rams are shot but this is maintance.

I would price it down for a new lower unit.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Have seen worse. The shot zincs on the trim rams may suggest poor maintenance - those should have been replaced years ago.

How many hours are on the engine and drive?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
Ensign

Roughly 150 hours on the engine/drive. I'll go back today to get an exact time. Anything else I should be looking at? The boat is being sold via a Marina. The owner is military and moved to CA and doesn't want to ship the boat across the U.S. The techs at the marina are always glad to help with anything I need too look at.

I'll go back today to take a closer look at the bellows. I tried moving the drive side by side it was it was fairly hard to move them. Replacing the zincs would prob be the first thing I'd get done if I purchase the boat.

I'm fairly mechanically skilled so I wouldn't mind it too much if i need to replace the outdrive/transom next season but I'd like to be able to get some use of the boat this season with out tearing anything apart or having drive failures. I'll prob run the boat 3-4 times this season with one overnight in freshwater.

Glad to see some VA/DC/MD folks responding. More pictures soon!
Old 06-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
Admiral

FF,

Just judging from the drive, and from the age of the boat, I'm not sure I buy the 150 hour claim.

What marina is it at, if you don't mind me asking....
Old 06-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
Ensign

Its dry docked in FT Belvoir.

I'm going to call the owner tonight to get more details from him. I wasn't able to make it out today due to the crap weather.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #7
Admiral

Yeah, pretty miserable the last few days. Sunday is supposed to be beautiful so we're likely headed out.

We keep our 24' cuddy at marina called Pilot House, and they also broker boats, one of which I'm almost sure is a 24' ish crusier similar to the SCR you're looking at, though I don't know the details. PH also used to be a Maxum dealer. Might be worth a look.

Dan
Old 06-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #8
Ensign

Dan, Could you PM the slip prices at Pilot house? I'm thinking about keep the boat somewhere near Occoquan/Woodbridge.
I visually checked the bellows today, they are dirty but I don't see any cracks or anything. Ran the engine for a good minute or two. Oil is very clean and at a good level. I didn't throttle up much though. Trim tabs are leaking Hydraulic fluid but I hear bennett will send me a rebuild kit for free if i contact them.

I can't really find anything else wrong with the boat. I'll haggle price today and take the transom/outdrive in consideration. It'll cost me roughly 2k for parts to replace them.

Let me know if you guys have any other suggestions on what else to look at. Sea trail and m final visit is on Tuesday!
Old 06-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #9
Admiral

Are sure the tabs are Bennett and not boat lever?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:56 AM   #10
Ensign

I'm hoping they're bennett's. I don't see a brand or stamp anywhere.

Pics of the bellows and tabs.
Attached Thumbnails
photo-2.jpg   photo.jpg  
Old 06-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
Admiral

FF,

Can't really help with slip prices at PH. We decided to not bottom paint ours, and we don't use it enough to warrant a slip, so we keep our 24' cuddy on its trailer in the upper storage lot. The boat stays there year round and the "storage" fee is less than half what a slip would cost.

I don't know where you'll be driving in from, but we're in FFX and it takes us about 35 ish minutes to get to PH, and it's pretty rare that traffic is a variable because we're on 95 for only a couple of miles. There are actually 3 marinas in a row on Neabsco Creek Rd; Hampton's Landing, PH, and EZ Cruz. We liked PH best. EZ Cruz is less expensive - you'll understand.

I don't think those tabs are Bennetts. But I'm willing to bet that Bennett can identify them and suggest or supply replacement rams.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:43 AM   #12
Ensign

How much for storage on a trailer? Occoquan is a bit pricey and I don't even have great amenities.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #13
CGG
Lt. Commander

A good friend of mine is selling his 2004 Maxum SE. Low hours, clean, with trailer. Located in Kingston, NY. Asking $24,000.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote