Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Price Check Isle 5

Ok, so being in the middle of Kansas really sucks when it comes to getting a boat repaired. My lake has two marina's who fight each other over who can charge more. 90% of the time nobody will give you a quote they basically say....."well we'll just fix it and tell you a price later."

For that reason I do everything I can do but messing with the drive and the lower shift cable is beyond my comfort zone for many reasons. The first of which is I would be doing the fix in a gravel parking lot in 110 degree heat without the proper tools. I'm to old and to smart to make that stupid decision. Through some mutual contacts and friends there is a guy who has a machine and performance shop 20 miles away in Lawrence, KS. This guy is apparently a boat savant as well as a guy who can build an engine from the ground up for anything. He doesn't advertise boat work and only does it from direct referral from friends.

With that in mind we had a nice discussion yesterday and I wanted to share some prices with you guys and get any feedback. I think I'm being treated fairly (and 99% sure better than the marina) but if you have any thoughts let me know.

First - I should mention this guy has agreed for $100 to transport the boat to and from his shop (which includes buying oversize load permits) - as well as pick up the boat Monday Morning and have it back in the water by Wednesday. For you hardcore boaters out there I think this is a miracle to get done in July.

Second understand that I'm not in the mood to pull this damn boat again so after discussing things with him were doing everything to both drives with the goal of needing no other lower end ANYTHING until the gear lube is changed in a couple years. So heres the quote

Each drive will get

Shift Cable Kit
U Joint Bellows
O Ring Kit
Outdrive Service
Lube U Joints
Gimble Engine Couple
Engine Alignment
Shifter Adjustment and cleanup at helm (shifters almost take two hands now)

Labor for all: $257.50 per side
Parts: $227.50 per side

Also changing oil and impeller in generator: $100 including parts

WIth the transport charge all work should come in right at $1,200

Thoughts?

tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Admiral

TS................. I had this done 3 years on our 2001 3000SCR for around 1800.00 and that was a winter rate. If this guy is real you got a deal!

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Thats what I was thinking - I know the marina was over $2,000 and closer to $3,000 if they pulled the boat.

This guy is definately real. He is well known on the docks and known well enough that he's not allowed to work on the docks at all by the Marina.

He has a soft spot for local boaters (spends a lot of time building "go fast" motors for folks on the lake of the ozarks. It's kinda like a speak-easy.....if you haven't been introduced then he doesn't do work for you.

With that said, he's been trusted to work on my friends $250,000+ boats so his work is good.
tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

"I jump in it".
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote