Old 12-28-2017, 06:09 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Power Tilt / Trim help please

Hello - I am new to this group and very new to my 89 Maxum 1700 that I just picked up, which is definitely a project. Its got a Chrysler 140 HP outboard.
Bought it at an estate sale, so was not able to get any history on it. The motor was being held in the up position with a ratchet strap. The tilt motor had been removed and left laying on the deck. I'm wanting to get the tilt working and re-installed. Its a 3 wire system, has the tilt cylinder and shock absorber, but no trim cylinder. The 2 metal hydraulic lines were in place connecting the tilt cylinder to the pump. There is a larger, flex rubber line coming from the pump that connects to a small block - purpose unknown... maybe just being used as a way to block off that line. I hooked a battery up to the motor... nothing - dead.
Drained the oil out of the pump, which looked like it had a fair amount of water in it. Then took the motor off and pulled the end plate off. I could see that one of the brushes was stuck in the holder - looked like the previous genius that had the motor apart did not get the spring in properly and just jammed the brush in, so it was unable to move. I cleaned up the motor, put the brushes in properly, and mounted back on the pump. Put some new oil in the pump and hooked up the battery again. Motor runs now, but the cylinder is very erratic - barely moved up a little and would not move down.
Took off the lines going to the cylinder and ran the motor.. get just a dribble coming out of the lines, no mater which way the motor runs. Cylinder piston seems to move up and down just fine with no oil in it. Looks like a sick pump eh? My questions are: How do I identify the pump in order to get the proper rebuild kit for it? Where is the best place to get a rebuild kit? Is there a tutorial somewhere that shows how to properly rebuild the pump? Can I get by with just a tilt cylinder and no trim cylinder? Will this pump work with that 3rd line being plugged off, or does it need to be connected to a trim cylinder? When this is working right, what kind of action should I be seeing from the cylinder - goes up when motor is running one direction and then will power down by reversing the motor, or does the cylinder have to be retracted manually? How does the "manual release" on the pump work.
I know... too many questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

slywuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:25 PM   #2

Questions are good. Maybe bulleted or numbered format might be easier to read and follow than a giant paragraph, but we get the ghist. (no worries).

Questions are all over so I'll address a few points here. If water is inside of the pump/fluid reservoir then the seals on the actuators (cylinders) are bad. That is the only way for any sizable amount of water to work it's way into the system. hydraulic fluid is hydroscopic, but it sounds like there was more water than can be accounted for by simply condensation.

Blown seals may also explain the behavior of the actuators. The hydraulic system should be sealed. If water can get in, air can get in and fluid can get out.

No......reverse does not trim the drive in. That would indicate air in the system. The drive would need to be trimmed in using the trim switch, which is particularly the case to optimize control when backing.

I would start at an Evinrude dealer for parts.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:28 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for your reply Shrew. Yes, I will certainly put new seals in the lift cylinder - easy enough to do. The biggest questions I have deal with the pump and overall lift/trim system theory. You like bullets... Here we go:

1. I have attached a picture of the pump and lift cylinder. The only ID that I have been able to find so far is that this is "the old Chrysler system" Is there not some model number that was assigned to this so I can search for more documentation and parts?

2. I am not a seasoned boat user - this is my first one, although I have worked on some in the past. Looks like I need to find a trim cylinder to work with the setup that I have - remember I bought this at an estate sale - many things need fixed on this boat. From my limited knowledge, looks like when the "up" trim switch is triggered, the trim cylinder fills first and then when it tops out, the lift cylinder begins to fill. When the "down" switch is triggered, why does the motor run if it does not power down? Apparently that only causes the hydraulic pressure to bleed down from the weight of the motor in order to let the motor swivel completely down? What happens if there is no trim cylinder in the system?

3. Is there not some publication that I can buy that shows the pump in detail and how to rebuild and test?

4. Who makes this thing? Chrysler? Force? Mercury? Evinrude? What name do I search under to find info? I see that there is a publication from Force called OB4685 - Force Outboard Parts Catalog. Is this the same as my "old Chrysler system" or do I need to look elsewhere for documentation?

Thanks for the help.
slywuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #4

The Trim and Up are behaving normally. The Trim has a Trim Limiter so the drive can only be brought out a limited amount while underway. The Up is for trailoring.

Down should work the same as up. The manual would be part of the 1989 Chrylser Outboard Service Manual. That is, unless they used a 3rd party trim system like SeaStar, then it would be in THAT manual.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote